No power to living room ceiling fan and receptacle

Old 09-18-19, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power to living room ceiling fan and receptacle

Hello, new homeowner here trying to diagnose an eletrical problem in my living room. So it's a large room in the back of the house with 4 receptacles, one on each wall. There are also three light switches to the outdoor lights, and another box with two switches one for a light fixture on the wall and one to the ceiling fan. My problem is that the ceiling fan and one receptacle on the "end of run" box on the left wall have no power. Everything else works just fine, the breaker has never turned off. There are no GFI outlets and the circut is independent of the other rooms in the house.

When I test the voltage to the switch, the power to the fan and the power to the end of run receptacle I get a reading of approximately 16 volts on the hot black wires and 19 on the white wire. I've tried installing a new switch to see if that helped but it did not. Checked all the connections in all 3 boxes and everything looks good and tight. I'm no electrical expert so I'm hoping for some direction here on where to go next. There is a ground wire that is coming out of the conduit that for some reason was cut short, not sure if it's possible that voltage is bleeding to that?

I should add that all the lights in the room work perfectly fine except obviously the ceiling fan light.

Thank you any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-19, 02:38 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Check the closest working box on the same circuit. A loose connection on the outgoing cable could cause the issue while the device in the box works fine.

Old 09-19-19, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

box with two switches one for a light fixture on the wall and one to the ceiling fan.
We need to see that wiring and the wiring at the non working receptacle too.
How-to-insert-pictures.

It's odd that a random receptacle is not working as well as one switch in a two gang switchbox.
We need to determine what is feeding what.
As far as you know.... was everything in this room on one circuit ?

You have a conduit system so basically everything is interconnected. Typically there is no ground wire used in a conduit system.