Wiring a mini split A/C

Old 09-20-19, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a mini split A/C

Hello all,

I am definitely not strong in electrical work and I am trying to figure out what wiring/fuse/disconnects I need for this installation. I will be installing a 12000 BTU Senville unit and this is the information listed in the specs:

Power Supply 110V
Minimum Curcuit Ampacity 15A
Max Fuse 20A

And this is taken from the installation manual: "If connecting power to fixed wiring, install a surge protector and main power switch with a capacity of 1.5 times the maximum current of the unit"

According to this information, what amperage circuit breaker and disconnect box would I need? What size wiring would I need from the breaker to the disconnect and from disconnect to the compressor?

The second part of the question is about how to install the wiring between the breaker and disconnect: Every video I have watched shows how to install a 220V system (a double unit breaker and disconnect). How do you do the wiring between a 110V breaker and disconnect? The breaker would be a single unit, correct? All the disconnect boxes I have seen have 4 buses and for 220V installations, they use 2 buses for supply and 2 buses for load. Would I use only 2 buses (1 for supply and 1 for load)? Also for 220V installation both black and white wires are attached to each side of the double breaker unit (so both hot-- no neutral). Would I attach only black wire to a single breaker for 110V installation? Is the neutral in the wiring used at all?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-20-19, 01:59 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
We allow one thread per topic. This is yours. The one in the A/C forum is gone.

You would use #14 wiring as it's rated for 15A and you would use a single pole 20A breaker.
You would use #14 everywhere.

You'd need a 30A non fused disconnect. They usually come in 240v versions. You would connect the incoming black wire to the incoming terminal on one side and the outgoing black wire to the same side. You would only use one upper and one lower contact. The other side would have nothing on them.

Would I use only 2 buses (1 for supply and 1 for load)?
Yes. Left side OR right side terminals.

The white wire gets wire nutted together inside the disconnect.
The ground wires get connected to the ground bar.

Old 09-20-19, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
We allow one thread per topic. This is yours. The one in the A/C forum is gone.

You would use #14 wiring as it's rated for 15A and you would use a single pole 20A breaker.
You would use #14 everywhere.

You'd need a 30A non fused disconnect. They usually come in 240v versions. You would connect the incoming black wire to the incoming terminal on one side and the outgoing black wire to the same side. You would only use one upper and one lower contact. The other side would have nothing on them.

Would I use only 2 buses (1 for supply and 1 for load)?
Yes. Left side OR right side terminals.

The white wire gets wire nutted together inside the disconnect.
The ground wires get connected to the ground bar.

CasualJoe, GGPHD voted this post useful.
Old 09-20-19, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much Pete! And the white wire (after attached to the breaker box white pole and then nutted in the disconnect) directly goes to the condenser?

Old 09-20-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that is correct.
The condenser should be labeled hot and neutral as well as ground.

CasualJoe, GGPHD voted this post useful.