Thinking about swapping GFCI outlets with GFCI breakers

Old 09-22-19, 06:21 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thinking about swapping GFCI outlets with GFCI breakers

Our house is three years old. When it was built, the electrician put GFCI outlets in the oddest places (garage, closet, etc.). Occasionally one will trip and then the hunt is on, especially at night!

I'm toying with the idea of locating the circuit each GFCI outlet is on and replacing the standard breaker with a GFCI breaker, then replacing the coordinating GFCI outlet with a standard outlet. This will allow me to immediately locate a tripped circuit without "the hunt".

I know it will cost in the ballpark of $100-$200, which is not a factor.

Is this an acceptable solution? Am I missing/forgetting something?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/comments are welcome! Thanks!

Old 09-22-19, 06:27 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I my opinion a better solution would be to replace all the receptacles on the circuit with GFCI receptacles and then do NOT use any of the LOAD connections. That way only the problem device will be dead on a trip.

Old 09-22-19, 08:09 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I just did last week exactly what jo said. There was one GFCI in the garage that fed both baths and one outside recept. Now all have their own GFCI. Plus, that gfci was some 20 years old.

Get a four pack from your fav distributor.

Old 09-23-19, 10:50 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of locating the circuit each GFCI outlet is on and replacing the standard breaker with a GFCI breaker, then replacing the coordinating GFCI outlet with a standard outlet. This will allow me to immediately locate a tripped circuit without "the hunt".
Without the hunt? Maybe if the trip is strictly a nuisance trip, but if you have something plugged in with a ground fault you'll still have to hunt that device down before the circuit breaker can be reset.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: