Replacing double oven with 2 separate wall ovens

Old 09-22-19, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing double oven with 2 separate wall ovens

We have a 40 am circuit, with 4-wire going to a combination double oven. We're replacing with 2 separate ovens, stacked configuration. The smaller oven takes 20 amp, 240V direct plug in. The larger oven will needs to be hard-wired to the 4-wire. Also takes 240 V, requires 20amp circuit. total Watts between both ovens is 5200, W, out old combination double oven drew 5500 Watts. Assuming we just need to split off the line coming in, add a plug in outlet for the smaller oven(240V), and feed each oven separately, off the 40 amp circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-19, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not a electrician, nor do I play one on TV.

However IMHO, running a 20 amp oven off of a 40 amp circuit, could possibly create a fire hazard, since the oven could overload and the 40 amp breaker won't allow for it to trip properly.

I believe you'll need to run another wire and have two separate 20 amp breakers, having each oven on it's own dedicated circuit.

Old 09-23-19, 04:28 AM
Received 77 Votes on 71 Posts
NO that wont work. You need two 20 amp circuits. You could convert the existing 40amp to one of the 20 amp circuits you need.For the other unit you will need to run a new 20 amp 240 volt circuit.

Old 09-23-19, 06:45 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
I am also not an electrician but I cannot see a problem hooking them up.

If the wattage you state is correct then you total draw will be 21.7 amps.
Add 20% if they are both continuously on you are still only drawing 26 amps.
So you have plenty of amperage to run them.
It basically is no different than running a cooktop and oven combo off of one breaker which is allowed.

Old 09-23-19, 07:00 AM
"However IMHO, running a 20 amp oven off of a 40 amp circuit, could possibly create a fire hazard, since the oven could overload and the 40 amp breaker won't allow for it to trip properly."

How does that compute? He had 2 ovens stacked in one unit. Does that mean that he had to always run both at the same time to assure "overload" protection. An oven circuit breaker protects from short circuits. Think about using one burner on an electric stove or one light bulb in a 15 amp circuit...

I'm not claiming to know the code for one hard wired and one plug in appliance.

Old 09-23-19, 08:10 AM
Red face

Cooktop is on a separate circuit.

So, this circuit is dedicated to the current double oven(5500Watts). And, yes those wattages are correct, for both new = 5220Wattts.

This is what was configured when we moved in... though I question this, too. It's a stacked 40 amp circuit. Having an electrification come out to assess (recalling a few other quirky electrical things we've run into with work from the former owners, and something I'd personally rather not attempt to reconfigure). Looking again, the smaller speed oven uses 120V, so we need to split the power up between these as it is. Thanks all for your input. Hard to find a combination double oven in 24", so we opted for two separate ovens, that we'll stack, just some added fuss to get them installed properly.

Oven #1:
Watts (W) 3,300 W
Circuit breaker (A) 20 A
Volts (V) 240 / 208 V

Oven #2:
Watts (W) 1,920 W
Circuit breaker (A) 20 A
Volts (V) 120 V

"Old houses, the only thing that ever seems to work... is the owner."

Old 09-23-19, 11:04 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
Oven #2:
Watts (W) 1,920 W
Circuit breaker (A) 20 A
Volts (V) 120 V

But you said both ovens operated off 240 volts. You are dealing with a 4-wire circuit so there should be a neutral there. Check everything you have told us again to be sure you are giving us accurate information.

Old 09-23-19, 02:16 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You need to comply with the install directions. If it says 20A breaker, then that is the only allowed value. Sometimes the directions will refer you to a nameplate. Look for MOP. or "max overcurrent protection".

Old 09-25-19, 09:52 PM
Yes, original oven, was a double oven unit running off (1) 240V /40 amp circuit. the replacement ovens are(2) separate ovens, one of which takes 120V/20amp, the other takes 240V/20amp, so we'll be adding a new feed link to the location. (sorry if not clear in original post).