Updating light switches to smart things switches

Old 09-29-19, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Updating light switches to smart things switches

Hello,
I have an odd configuration for wiring two old switches that turn exterior lights on, and one that turns on and off garage lights.

I am trying to replace each plug with a new smart things plug, but I am not sure how to wire these up as this is an odd configuration of the old switches. Any help on what would need to go from the old switch to the new switches? Also, why would someone wire these original switches the way they are currently wired?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  77.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-29-19 at 07:43 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-19, 11:10 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
They are three way switches.
The black that goes between the two switches is the power in from the panel.
The other black and reds are the travellers to the other switches.

You likely need to do some rewiring at the other switch to make them work.

Old 09-29-19, 11:19 AM
Hi joed. Thank you for your quick response. I do have two of these smart things switches that I would like to place in the gang box. should I be purchasing 2 3 way switches instead to place in the gang box and replace out the old switches?

for this scenario how do I wire in each as the switches do have a traveler?

Last edited by Kendrix; 09-29-19 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 09-29-19, 11:38 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
What does the manual say for three way operation? Some of those smart switches use a slave switch at the other three way position. Some of them just need the other switch rewired.

All I can find in the manual is that an 'add-on' switch is needed for three way wiring.

The GE Add-on switch is required for Multi-Switch 3-way or 4-way installations.Connecting the traveler terminal of this switch to a standard, non-GE switch will cause damage or result in improper function. If this switch is a part of a 3-way or 4-way multi-switch installation, do not connect the traveler wire or apply power until GE Add-on switches are correctly installed. For more information on 3-Way or 4-Way installations, view the manual or quick-start guide that comes with the GE Add-on switch.

Old 09-29-19, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I cropped and resized your pictures. I removed the ones not needed. You as a member get 10mb of picture storage. You were at 15mb and your future picture posting was closed off. You're currently under 1mb now.

Yes.... the GE add-on switch is required for three way operation. My only issue is in picture 2 we're seeing two wirenuts with white wires. We'd need to those connections pulled out. Yes..... there will need to be changes made at both ends. We can guide you.

Old 10-01-19, 05:38 PM
Hello,
I placed an order for a couple add on switches. I received them today.

My current setup is one main switch on the interior of the home that controls the exterior lighting. In the garage, there are two switches. The one on the right is the other switch that controls the exterior lights as well. The one on the left controls the garage interior lights.

Do I need to place the regular switch in the interior of the home that controls the exterior lights, then add the add on switch on the right hand side of the gang box in the garage, then add another regular smart things switch to the right side, or does it take another add on switch? If so, how would I wire these based on the above photos?

The add on switch only has a single gold and silver screw.

Old 10-01-19, 06:43 PM
Pete,
Looking for your guidance.

Thank you.

Old 10-01-19, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
I need to see the neutral connections out of the box.
Are you putting both smart switches in the box seen in this thread ?

Old 10-01-19, 07:03 PM
Pete,
I was thinking that a smart switch needed to be in the interior of the home to control the lighting on the exterior of the garage, then then an addon on the right side of the gang box in the garage to control the lighting on the exterior of the garage, and another smart switch on the left side of the gang box in the garage to power and control the lighting in the garage. Thoughts? I can get a photo tomorrow with the neutral connections pulled out.

Old 10-01-19, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
The smart switch can go at either end. Whichever end it goes at it needs to be fed always live power. With three way wiring that is not a problem. Depending on the wiring change... the power can be brought to either end. If they were both going in the same box only one diagram would be needed. If not.... a diagram for each.

In the pictures..... there are 2) three wire cables. The red and black wires go to switches. Are those two white wires combined with a third white wire ? If yes.... no picture needed.

Old 10-01-19, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
This post is putting the smart switch at the end in the picture.

Turn power to circuit off.
Remove switch.
Connect black wire that was on C to LINE of smart switch
Connect black wire to LOAD.
Connect red wire to TRAVELER.
You'll need to add a short piece of white wire from the white splice to N on the smart switch.

At aux switch end.
Remove switch.
Connect black wire that was on C to black traveler wire. Cap off.
Connect red wire to AUX switch traveler screw.
You'll need to add a short piece of white wire from the white splice to N on the AUX switch.
(There may be white jumpers supplied with the switches)

Name:  z.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  30.3 KB