Need another Generator - Help me decide

Old 09-30-19, 05:33 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need another Generator - Help me decide

Good day folks; I've just had my first expierence using a small generator during a 3 day power outage and now want a bigger one. The one I was using was a Honda EU1000 and it ran my 2 fish tanks heaters and filters etc with no problem. Once we had power back I realized it would also start andd run our refridgerator. So now I want to purchase a second generator. I don't think that I need another inverter generator. I have been researching a portable dual fuel Firman Generator model H03651 4550/3650 and it should suit my requirements. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

Old 09-30-19, 06:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Once you've had a Honda inverter generator it's hard to step down to anything else. You are comparing a premium generator against an inexpensive model so I hope you are ready for the difference.

Old 09-30-19, 06:52 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
The expense of a Honda is colossal overkill for emergency power. There are tons of perfectly good generators out there with the power that you would need.

If you need a quiet little generator for camping or other uses, the Honda is a great idea.

Old 09-30-19, 06:54 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Has anyone else here had to listen to a bunch of 5kW 3600rpm gensets for a week straight? With windows open, of course, since they won't power most a/c units.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 09-30-19, 07:04 AM
P
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Your neighbor wont care about the noise in a week long outage if you let him run an extension cord to his refrigerator.

Seriously, to answer the OP's question, use the price of a comparable Generac as a benchmark to see if maybe another manufacturer's price is to good to be true. Any branded portable unit of the size you want will probably work just fine.

Your connection method is likely a larger issue with a higher capacity unit - inlet, transfer switch, interlock, etc..

Old 10-07-19, 04:39 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replys. Noise is not much of a concern to me. Living in a rural area, the nearest neighbor is abt 600ft away. I've bought the Firman Duel Fuel H03051 model. I like the fact that I can run it on propane and not have to worry about stale gas and a gummed up carb .Great price at Costco and a 3 year warranty. Not the quality of a Honda, but can't beat the price. I will let you know how it works out. Cheers

Old 10-07-19, 07:12 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I would say that a generator that supplies 30 amps at 240 volts continuous is the best choice for the home in terms of powering essential equipment and economy of operation.

Now, this would limit air conditioning and electric (heat pump or resistance) home heating. and water heating. You would need a bigger generator for heavy A/C and heating demand..

Some manual discipline will be needed when using a clothes dryer and electric stove particularly if you have a well and pump and/or sump pump or want to use some A/C..

On average a larger generator will consume more fuel than a smaller generator handling the same small load (i.e. within the capability of the smaller generator in your comparison).

Since you already have a small generator, you could use it with extension cords while not having to buy as large a new generator (I still suggest at least 30 amps) to connect into the home electrical system. This would be considered part of manual discipline.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-07-19 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-08-19, 04:50 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Once you go beyond an extension cable between the gen and a load. you are into larger domain. You don't want a poco lineman injured due to your negligence of not disconnecting poco input lines before connecting gen to house distribution (not hard to prove) so some automation is required. Don't depend on manual discipline.

Old 10-08-19, 02:04 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Last fall I picked up a dual fuel Wen 4750 and our area now sells ethanol free gas so I can keep it fueled as well as having a tank of propane. Love the electric start as my shoulder can't take any amount of pulling. No complaints about a lower grade gen, it will look like a million bucks during a power failure. Note, first test I barely hit the key and it was running.

Bud

Old 10-08-19, 04:56 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
I assume the electric start is battery powered. Unless the battery is maintined, the electric start won't help. This requires a battery charger/tender (don't want to overcharge) and periodic starting as batteries deteriorate over time. If you are not home when the power failure occurs, the million dollar looking gen will just sit there until you get home. These are things to consider.

Old 10-08-19, 05:51 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Got all of those bases covered and a wood stove to back it up.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: