Multiple Subpanels

Old 10-04-19, 11:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Multiple Subpanels

I am currently in the process of moving into my In-Laws house with my family. We will be having bedroom and bathroom addition built (construction starts around November) . As of yesterday I had two sheds (both 10 x 12) built for the purpose of an art room for my kids and an office for myself.

The house has 200 amp service, but the main is completely full. The contractor said when the time comes he would put a sub-panel up, but that will not be for a couple of months, and i really need to get the sheds up and running.

My previous home (the one I am moving from) I also built an office and I installed a 60 amp subpanel, I believe I used 4/4 Aluminum wire (I could be mistaken, it was a few years ago) so i have a general sense on what needs to happen and how to do it.
I do however have a couple of questions/concerns with this potential project.

1. Exiting the house

The 100 amp subpanel will go right next to the main, as close as legally allowed (ill check the local codes) there is plenty of wall space so its not an issue, however I am uncertain on what the optimal approach is to getting the wire from the 100 amp to the first 60 amp subpanel.
Should I run the wire through the attic/crawl space as far down as i can then exit out of the wall? Or should I exit out of the wall by the panel and run the wire down , into the ground along the house?

It's about 65 to 75 feet from where the 100 amp will be and where the 60 amp will be.

Regarding the wire:

I am not too concerned about the 100 amp panel as it is going to be so close to the main, but 60 + feet from the 100 to the first 65 gives me pause. I remember the first time I did this a few years ago, the 4 gauge (or possibly 2) was a bear, a real pain in the but to get around a corner or make a bend. So i was wondering if it is possible, or rather advised, to run individual wires instead of the pre-bundled deals. I realize the pre-bundled ones come with added insulation and general protection and I might not have a choice, but I am just throwing the idea out there to more experienced folks.

Lastly (for now) My intention is to condense the current panel with wafers to make from for the 100 amp double pole break for the 100 amp sub.

The only other method I can think of would be migrating some breakers from the main to the 100 amp to make room for the 100 amp break.

Is one method preferable over another?

I appreciate any feedback, feel free to ask any questions.

Thank You ,
-J

Last edited by jdblair5; 10-04-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes..... you should move two lighter circuits from the main panel to the local sub panel to make room for a new two pole breaker.

Individual conductors need to be run in a conduit unless they are rated for direct burial and buried outside.

There is no code on the new local subpanel. The new breaker in the main panel protects that wiring and it can be any distance away from the main panel.

condense the current panel with wafers to make from for the 100 amp double pole break for the 100 amp sub.
Nor sure what condensing wafers means,

Have you done an overall current demand analysis ? Will 200A be enough to run everything ?

Old 10-04-19, 03:47 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I was also wondering exactly what this meant.

condense the current panel with wafers to make from for the 100 amp double pole break for the 100 amp sub.

Old 10-04-19, 05:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. To clarify what I was trying to say (and I might be misunderstanding this concept from a fundamental standpoint as it was suggested to me by someone from Home Depot; or I could just simply be explaining it wrong)

I was told that you could take two similar breakers, such as 2 x 15 amps and use a tandem breaker (the guy called them wafer breakers, so that is what I know them by). The tandem breaker only uses 1 slot, thus freeing up a breaker slot previously occupied by one of the 15 ampers.
My understanding is that not all main panels support this, but according to the D-Square website mine does.

About the demand analysis, I have not. And I am not sure how one goes about doing such a thing. I am looking it up as I respond to this, but so far nothing has jumped out. I would be grateful for any help in that regard.

Old 10-05-19, 09:22 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I was told that you could take two similar breakers, such as 2 x 15 amps and use a tandem breaker (the guy called them wafer breakers, so that is what I know them by).
I can only assume that wafer is local terminology, I have never heard that term before.

The house has 200 amp service, but the main is completely full. The contractor said when the time comes he would put a sub-panel up, but that will not be for a couple of months, and i really need to get the sheds up and running.

I would like to think that any legit electrical contractor would recognize a panel that will accept tandem breakers unless you are using a contractor interested in maximizing his work and profits.

You never mentioned the catalog number of your panel, would you mind telling us what it is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: