Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about 1-Gang Box - Only 1 Slot on Top for #12 Cable?

Old 09-30-19, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I purchased a few Madison 1-gang Smart Boxes. I thought that they would be useful for my kitchen remodel, since they are adjustable and secure to the stud. My confusion is with the internal clamps. I have 2 #12 cables that I need to feed from the top. On the box, it has markings for #12 NM, but it doesn't seem like this can accommodate 2 cables. There is a spot marked #14, and I was tempted to try one of the cables through there. Although I'm not certain if that would be a code violation (or if it would even fit). The clamps are a bit different than the blue Carlons that I'm used to.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-19, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 347 Posts
If it was labeled for #14 and you put a #12 cable in there..... that would be a code violation.
Not using the box according to manufacturers labeling or specs.

Old 09-30-19, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it was labeled for #14 and you put a #12 cable in there..... that would be a code violation. Not using the box according to manufacturers labeling or specs.
Yes, I definitely should know better than to even think about it. I haven't seen a box before where you can't feed 2 cables from the top. Very annoying.