New LED Shop Lights - How to install and meet Code

Old 10-01-19, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New LED Shop Lights - How to install and meet Code

I ordered some LED shop lights, and waiting for delivery, thinking about installation. According to reviews, these 4-ft lights each have a cord with plug on end, and mount by screwing 2 spring clips into the ceiling, then snapping the fixture into the clips. ..... Now the fluorescents I have now, are hung by chains from the ceiling, and their power wires are plugged into a ceiling receptacles, all controlled by a wall switch. If the wire run is short, the slack and support is taken up by a zip tie hung from the ceiling. ..... Overall then these shop lights are a kind of "Swag Lamp" and meet Code since not permanently installed. ............ Question is, whether installing the new LED lights using manufacturer's clips would meet Code,or should I hang the new lights same way as the old ones? Thanks in Advance !!

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

10-04-19, 01:59 AM
Furd
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The NEC is advisory only, it has NO power of enforcement. The "code" you need to meet is the local, regional or state code that is enforced in your particular geographical area.

It is ONLY when enacted into law by a local (city) regional (county) or state legislative body does the model (national) code become law AND the enabling legislation can add to or delete from the model code. This is why it is incumbent on YOU to learn the requirements of the codes that are enforced in YOUR area.

Old 10-01-19, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
I would use the factory clips. The light should be able to be removed if needed. They should have been listed with the mounting clips.

Old 10-02-19, 12:08 AM
Received 111 Votes on 102 Posts
Not aware of any code for garage ceiling mounted lights but what you are getting are referred to as cooler/freezer lamps, I have a few in my garage!

Are you talking about the power cord to the lamps or the jumper cord between the lamps?

BTW, much easier to use the clips, fast install and they weigh practically nothing!

Old 10-02-19, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I have the same/similar lights in an addition to my barn/shop. If you have an open ceiling like I do and wish to hang the lights across the ceiling joists - add a 1x nailed to the joists and then mount the lights to it.

When I first got mine I thought they were kind of chinsy looking because they aren't stout looking like florescent fixtures but they go up easy and light up the space a lot better.

Old 10-03-19, 02:25 PM
The lamps just came in, tested each one, all good. I think I'm going to mount these as pairs, in series, clipped onto a 1x3. I can hang an 8-ft pair from same hooks that held the fluorescents. Should be cheap, fast, easy, and meet Code, plus, no looking for studs, no drywall anchors, and no finicky alignment of the clips.

Old 10-03-19, 05:16 PM
and meet Code
Great, I'm still at a loss to your reference to code!

Old 10-03-19, 07:31 PM
Code = National Electrical Code https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stand...detail?code=70 You know, by the book, done correctly, in the way it's supposed to be done (in terms of electrical installations) wiring, switches. fixtures, grounding, etc., etc., etc. Done so that they're safe, won't heat up and set fires, give someone a shock, etc.

Old 10-04-19, 01:59 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The NEC is advisory only, it has NO power of enforcement. The "code" you need to meet is the local, regional or state code that is enforced in your particular geographical area.

It is ONLY when enacted into law by a local (city) regional (county) or state legislative body does the model (national) code become law AND the enabling legislation can add to or delete from the model code. This is why it is incumbent on YOU to learn the requirements of the codes that are enforced in YOUR area.

CasualJoe, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-19, 06:48 AM
Question is, whether installing the new LED lights using manufacturer's clips would meet Code
You know, by the book, done correctly, in the way it's supposed to be done (in terms of electrical installations) wiring, switches. fixtures, grounding, etc., etc., etc. Done so that they're safe, won't heat up and set fires, give someone a shock, etc.
The code question from the original post is the installation of the lights using the supplied clips, has nothing to do with wiring, grounding, switching etc!

Old 10-04-19, 08:48 AM
Some people *practice* being snarky, to others, it comes naturally. Please look at the heading - ORIGINAL QUESTION had to do with Code. >>> New LED Shop Lights - How to install and meet Code

Old 10-04-19, 04:56 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
The NEC doesn't provide instructions on how to install a light fixture, but it does require you follow the manufacturer's instructions.