How to replace an old ground rod

Old 10-04-19, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to replace an old ground rod

My house is 54 years old and the ground rod connected to the inside service panel via GEC wire is corroded. I believe the rod was installed when the house was built. I'd like to replace it.

Rather than pulling it out, can I just install a new 8-ft rod next to it, disconnect the wire from the old rod, and then connect the wire to new rod using a new cable clamp?

I also want to add another clamp to the new rod to connect a grounding wire from my ham antenna mast that's about 25 ft away from the rod.

Would there be a problem in having the old corroded rod remain in the ground (unconnected) - about 8-10 inches away from the new rod?

Thanks,
Len

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-19, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
Why do you suspect the rod needs to be replaced?

the conductor to the rod needs to be continuous so watch if the rod moves too far.

Old 10-04-19, 06:32 PM
I only dug down about 6 inches from the top of the rod. Rust was flaking on the surface of the rod. Do you think it may be feasible to scrape the rust below the GEC wire clamp to add another clamp for my antenna mast wire?

Old 10-04-19, 07:50 PM
I am no expert but in Florida anyway I have seen more than one "acorn" on a ground rod, seems like it would be ok. But removing the existing one and removing the ground wire that is already on it does not sound like a good idea. You will see some corrosion appear on the ground rods. I dont think its a problem cleaning some corrosion away so you can slip another acorn over the existing one though

Old 10-04-19, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can install multiple acorn clamps on the rod.

lenwk voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-19, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
The only problem with acorn clamps after the fact is when the rod gets peened over on the end..... they don't go on. The split brass clamps are ok to use on an existing rod.

You could add a second rod for maximum protection.

Old 10-04-19, 09:05 PM
yeah and you have to tell the new helper no, you cannot use a grinder/cut off wheel on the ground rod to remove the mushroomed portion lol

Old 10-04-19, 09:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the rod length is unaffected there should be no issue with removing enough mushroom to get a clamp over the top of the rod.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-19, 09:17 PM
of course your right, but it just reminded me of a few instances where too much was cut off by accident by some people in the past...

Old 10-05-19, 10:56 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
You could add a second rod for maximum protection.

This is what I would do if I had any concerns about the existing rod. Clean up the existing rod and apply the acorn clamp and then add a second ground rod at least 6 feet away and connect them with #6 bare copper ground wire.

Old 10-05-19, 11:04 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Grind away the mushroom edge, not slicing off a piece of the entire rod diameter.

The #6 wire connecting the second ground rod to the first may be attached to the #6 ground wire at the first ground wire and end there.

Old 10-05-19, 12:06 PM
I appreciate all the good suggestions, and will probably proceed with cleaning the existing rod and adding a second acorn to accommodate the wire from my antenna mast.

What I would like to know, however, is whether a second rod could be installed right next to the first (i.e., inches away) IF that first (old) rod were effectively disabled -- in other words, having NO wires connected to that rod. It's just a hypothetical, but I'm curious as to whether any problems arise in having a "live" rod buried next to a "dead" one...

Thanks

Old 10-05-19, 12:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
whether any problems arise in having a "live" rod buried next to a "dead" one...
Absolutely none........................