Buring 120 Volt cable in yard

Old 10-04-19, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buring 120 Volt cable in yard

Folks:

Looking for some advice in running 120 volt line to a pergola and sport court in my yard. Builder installed an exterior junction box on the side of my home, so I have a source for my connection. Here is what I know, and my questions are near the the bottom:

- I've dug 12 inch trench to my intended termination location and my source box.
- I've searched through some code listings and I understand my line has to be GFCI protected and from what I can tell, in Utah (where I'm at) I have to have the circuit at a 20 amp fuse.
- I believe the wire from the ground to the source and termination box need to be in conduit (makes sense).
- Termination box should be mounted and in a waterproof box. I imagine installing a 2 or 3 foot 4x4 redwood lumbar that is 2 feet deep into the ground for stability. Run the conduit up that and to the box mounted near the top.

To my questions:

1) Below I'm provided a link to the code I was reading through. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm interpreting it correctly. The table at TABLE E3803.1 for #4 shows a 12 inch application. What I am really trying to understands is if I have to put the UF-B (underground feeder) cable inside a PCV conduit or can I bury it just in the 12 inch line?

2) Is conduit from the 12 inch to the box required? I assume so and that would be the safest method. Does that conduit, in the ground, just run open into the dirt as the cable then goes horizontal? I would assume I should put a 90 degree bend on it so the cable exits the conduit horizontal.

Here is the link to the code table referenced in #1 above

https://up.codes/viewer/utah/irc-201...-methods#E3803

Sponsored Links