Wiring Help Please #2

Old 10-05-19, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Help Please #2

I also need power for a switch that controls 2 little lights in a storage room. Currently these lights are already part of another circuit and are the last 2 items on that circuit.

I want to get power also from the receptacle that I spoke of in Question 1. This is the receptacle I'm already using for the extra outlet. I would use the other "quick connect" holes for this new wire and add the ground wired to the other pigtailed ground wires of the 3 wires entering the receptacle.
So the new setup would consist of this:
  • 2 lines (2 white + 2 black wires) connected through the "side terminals" hole
  • 1 (new) line for the new receptacle (1 white + 1 black wire) connected via one of the "quick connect" holes
  • 1 (new) line for the switch for 2 lights (1 white + 1 black wire) connected via one of the "quick connect" holes
  • 1 line (all four lines' ground wires pigtailed with a fifth piece of copper wire to be connected to the one ground terminal on the outlet
thank you
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-19, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You'd have to have a large volume box, that's for sure.

Old 10-05-19, 07:45 PM
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Assuming the box is large enough for all the wires same answer as the other question.

Yes it is OK but it is not recommended. Those pushin connections are a very common source of bad connections.
A better solution would be to connect all the blacks with a short 6 inch black pigtail in a wire nut. Then connect the pigtail to the receptacle. Same plan for the whites.