Fried wet vac

Old 10-08-19, 06:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fried wet vac

I was using my small wet/dry vac and it suddenly died. It was kind of new but i was using it with a piece of 3/8 poly tubing duct taped to a crevice tool so i could reach into a tight space.

Was restricting it like this likely the reason?

p.s. checking resistance between the prongs of the plug should show a reading with it switched on, right? It was infinity with both the switch on and off.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-19, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Sounds like it's burned up. Yeah, restricting it probably fried something. They aren't worth fixing. Depending on where you got it from, and how long ago, they might take pity on you and give you an exchange.

Old 10-08-19, 07:50 PM
L
Received 85 Votes on 73 Posts
Probably have overheated and blew thermal fuse inside motor winding. Sometimes it just happens even under normal uses.
While it is possible to fix, it will be easier to just buy new vac. Or, may be get warranty repair if it is still under warranty.

Old 10-08-19, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I looked into warranty repair once when my 12 gallon shop vac quit... Found out that you have to pay to ship your shop vac to Elyria, OH and back again. Guessing that the shipping would be about 90% of the price of a new vac, I just went and got a new one.