Defective Eaton BR load center?

Old 10-13-19, 04:29 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Defective Eaton BR load center?

This is Eaton 125A 12 Space 24 Circuit main lug panel sold at Home Depot.

However, it doesn't have a notch in the middle of the tab on bus bar.
I thought this panel was defect. However, 2 other panels sold at different home depot has same bus.
This will not allow CTL tandem breaker and as far as I know, non-CTL breakers are to be used as replacement for old non-CTL load center only.

Is there something I don't know about?

Eaton had bunch of bad batches?

Attached Images    
Old 10-13-19, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You are correct about the non-ctl breaker usage.

As far as the notch, I don't know.

Old 10-13-19, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Class CTL
National Electrical Code Paragraph 384.15 requires branch circuit panelboards to be provided with physical means to prevent the installation of more overcurrent devices than that number of which the enclosure was designed, rated and approved. Class CTL Duplex, Quadplex and twin breakers (identified by a catalog number prefix BD, BQ, BQC and CHT) are equipped with a UL listed rejection tab over the line terminal. All OEM interiors have appropriately notched stabs to accept these rejection tab Class CTL breakers.

Duplex, Quadplex and twin breakers manufactured without the rejection tab (identified by a catalog number prefix BR, BRD and CHT) are available for replacement purposes in older interiors.

So that would make those old interiors.
BR and BRD are listed on your panel schedule as approved breakers.
Possibly they can be used since the panel can take all tandem breakers ?

Eaton- loadcenters and circuit breakers

Old 10-14-19, 04:48 PM
L
I guess non-CTL breakers should be allowed in this panel since it allows tandem breakers in all spaces?
Although, this panel itself may be in violation of NEC.
Or is it not in violation since all spaces allow tandem and therefore class CTL is irrelevant?

This is a brand new panel even has plug on neutral feature. It is funny how the bus bar itself is not NEC compliant.

Old 10-14-19, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Non-CTL breakers are for replacement use only.

Old 10-15-19, 05:49 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
8 neutral screws on a 24 circuit panel is underwhelming...
I guess they are trying to force breakers with the neutral feature.

Old 10-15-19, 07:46 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Better pic shows 18 neutrals as left and right are bonded together and separate ground bar -

Looks like Eaton is doing something different as footnote in catalog states non-CTL breakers are "Suitable for use in plug-on neutral style loadcenters."

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-19, 08:03 AM
L
So, now they are putting non CTL breakers on PON panels?
Maybe they are trying to make more money since non-CTL tandem breakers are more expensive?

Old 10-15-19, 10:38 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
So, now they are putting non CTL breakers on PON panels?

I don't think so, I think it's a factory mistake. If you look closely on the label at what breakers can be used in this panel both BD and BRD breakers are listed and both those types have the rejection clips that require the bus to be notched for them to fit, but we can clearly see the bus isn't notched. I believe I'd call Eaton on this one.

Old 12-12-19, 04:20 AM
L
Official answer from Eaton

Just a follow up on this issue.

I asked Eaton technical support and got an answer. Non-CTL breakers are to be used on plug-on neutral load centers.

I have no clue why would they do this though.. May be just trying to make more money by selling more expensive breakers..

Attached Images  
Old 12-12-19, 05:18 PM
The intent of CTL tandem breakers is to keep the user from installing more circuits than the panel was designed for. I suspect that an Eaton engineer made the decision that since this was a 12-24 panel no more than 24 circuits can be installed so requiring a notched bus for CTL tandem breakers with the rejection feature wasn't necessary. I suppose this would also be the case with a 20-40 panel. My opinion is that this was a bad decision.

Astuff voted this post useful.
Old 12-12-19, 05:52 PM
L
My opinion is that this was a bad decision.
I agree.

Instead of trying to phase out non-CTL tandem breakers, now they are bringing this back out as a standard breaker to be used.

Maybe Eaton is planning on just phasing out CTL load centers instead. It appears maximum circuit count is twice of space available on all of their current load centers. May be price of non-CTL tandem breakers will come down eventually?
Or may be tandem breakers will just become a rare thing in the future since now AFCI is required on most circuits and they don't come in tandem.

Old 12-12-19, 06:03 PM
Maybe Eaton is planning on just phasing out CTL load centers instead.

I don't think they can do that, it's a code requirement. But, like I said before, there is no way to exceed the number of circuits this panel was designed for by using non-CTL breakers and that apparently meets the intent of the code. Eaton was the leader with plug on neutral loadcenters so it'll be interesting to see if other manufacturers follow Eaton and do this same thing.

Old 12-12-19, 06:23 PM
L
there is no way to exceed the number of circuits this panel
That is what I am talking about as in phasing out CTL load centers.

All of their current load centers that I can find can accept tandem breakers in every space. Therefore, no way to exceed maximum circuits regardless of CTL or not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: