Do I need an "in use" cover?

Old 10-20-19, 02:42 AM
Z
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do I need an "in use" cover?

I'm replacing some old/worn out outlets in my house and putting some GFCIs in the correct locations where they are not currently. I have a large covered porch on the front and back of my house, each has 3 outlets. Porch is about 10 feet wide and the outlets are in the wall of the house. I'm replacing them with GFCI.

Do I need to use an "in use" type cover here? Do I even need a weatherproof cover at all? The porch is about 10 feet wide, the outlets on the inside wall against the house. This area never gets wet, even during a hurricane. The porches were built such that they have the same roof and foundation as my house in case I ever want to close it in and make it indoor space. It's just like the rest of the house, just missing the walls.

What would the code be for this? Is it even considered "outdoor" in this location? It's almost like being in a garage.

Old 10-20-19, 06:15 AM
Received 291 Votes on 261 Posts
if open to the elements use the weather proof covers. Error on the side of safety and most likely codes.

Old 10-20-19, 07:14 AM
A
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
It sounds like what you have is considered a "damp" location per code. You are required to use WR (weather resistant) receptacles and do need covers. Since not "wet" you are not required to have to use "extra duty" covers.

"shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is
weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment
plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed)."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: