Help... Installing ceiling fan on a switch....

Old 10-20-19, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help... Installing ceiling fan on a switch....

So hi and hello all you fine folks in internetland! Strap in kids... this is a long one... I'm trying to include as much info as possible.. so I don't burn down my house.. that would suck... and so far in 2 days of working on this.. I managed to only get zapped 2 times... I know "ALWAYS TURN BREAKER OFF BEFORE STARTING WORK'.. which I did... except when I was trying to figure out which way the power came into the box...

So any way.,...I have a problem.. which is why most of us are here anyway... but....I want to install a ceiling fan/light and that's the easy part....its hanging and looks GREAT!... it just doesn't do anything. My wife said it is the best looking ceiling ornament in the house.

So I want the light and fan each to be controlled by a separate switch with the lights being on a dimmer if possible. I wanted to run this thing from the light switch so I got in the attic... shoveled a path from the little square hatch (not built for us husky fellas) to the area I wanted to hang the fan, found where the wire drops into the wall for the switch... dropped a 12/3 in the same place.. and didn't even have to drill. Cut hole in ceiling attached the hanger Johnson, dropped the 12/3 wire into the hole backed my way out of the attic shoveling the insulation back into place etc etc...

So the outlet that the existing switch powers is on the opposite wall. I want to turn that outlet into always hot (only the top is always hot while bottom is switched. I am able to make both outlets always hot.. HOWEVER I am unable to get the power to the switch to turn on the fan/light. I have attached pictures and even a couple drawings.... An artist... I am not!

Diagram 1: this is what I come up with when tracing the wires...R1,B1, W1 seem to be coming from the breaker box...(seems to be).... they come into the outlet box and meet up with R2,B2, and W2. Both Rs are pigtailed together and attach to the lower gold screw, both Bs are pigtailed and attach to the upper gold screw and the tab between the screws is gone. both Ws are one each on the silver screws and of course the grounds are... grounded together. See Pictures 1 and 2.

I took pictures and disconnected all wires and tested for voltage between W1, R1 and B1 I found that B1 has about 125v, R1 seems to have about 85v.. if i recall.
I get no voltage from the remaining wires.

The wall switch wires are W3 and B3.. what I do not understand is this... When I test continuity between W2 and W3.. nothing... same with B2 and B3... HOWEVER.. when I test it between W3 and B2 it has continuity as well as R2 and B3..... I have no idea where W2 goes .. as seen in the drawing.

So in Diagram 2 is what I envisioned in my head about how this entire thing should be wired up.. did a crap load of reading from googling and reading various "boards" and have yet to get a light lit or the fan to spin. I decent with basic wiring I know black to black white to white, grounds to ground etc... but I do not know why I am getting continuity between R2 and B3 and B2 and W3.. this just does not make sense to me.. I mean obviously the wires are connected somewhere... but short question... how the heck do I get power to the switch so I can power my newly installed ceiling fan and light by using the wires already in place?

I had another thought and that was running a new service to the wall switch and capping the existing wires in the box and capping the R1and 2 in the outlet box and installing new outlet with out removing the tab.

So... clear as mud? What say you whom know?

Attached Images   
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Diag 2.pdf (23.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf
Diag 1.pdf (27.0 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-19, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
If you just have a white and a black on the switch you have a switch loop. The white should be feeding the switch and the switched power goes back to the receptacle. You do not have a neutral to extend power from.

You can make some changes at the receptacle in order to provide a neutral at the switch. You would need to splice the white to the switch to the receptacle neutral. The black would need to connect to a constant hot to provide power to the switch.

Old 10-20-19, 02:54 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
You need to find the receptacle where the switch cable is connected. It is not one of the ones pictured. It will have the white wire connected to a black wire and is most likely the receptacle closest to the switch.

Old 10-22-19, 08:39 PM
Hey and thanks for the replies.... much appreciated.... so once I find that receptical .... where the white is connected to the black... what then?

Last edited by Lte241; 10-22-19 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Auto correct blows
Old 10-22-19, 09:37 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Connect the white to the other whites in the box and it will be a neutral at the switch box.
Connect the black to the other blacks and it will be the hot in the switch box.

Old 10-25-19, 08:39 AM
Joe.. THANK YOU!

did ya ever throw something out there.. get the answer.. and think to yourself.. " Hey Stupid... you missed the easy stuff because you were over thinking it!" yeah... .thats me.

All is well and thank everyone for the input.. literally took 20 min to make it all work... after of course spending hours tryin to over think it.