3-way switch help

Old 10-21-19, 12:31 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3-way switch help

*MORON LEVEL*
Hi. In advance thanks for taking the time to help us 'challenged ones'.
I have a light that operates from 2 switches. The first switch has a roundish wire coming out of it, or into it, that contains white,black and red and copper and disappears into the ceiling. The 2nd switch has 2 wires going in and/or out. 1 is a normal wire (black, white & copper) and the other is a 3-wire roundish wire. Does this help in determining how the light may have been wired? I no longer need the 2nd switch and am wondering how I can disconnect it AND remove it. thanks so much. PAUL

Old 10-21-19, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
A cable consists of multiple wires. You have a two wire and 2) three wire cables.

Go to the switch you want to disable. Look at the three screws. One is darker or black. Mark that wire with a piece of tape. That is the common wire. Remove all three wires from the switch. Connect the common wire to one of the other two. Cap off the remaining single wire.

If the other switch works backwards..... you can switch the wire connected to the common.

Old 10-21-19, 01:39 PM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
This is the configuration you have. I believe you want to remove the switch labelled as 1 in the drawing.

Name:  3waypwswthrufx.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  40.0 KB

To remove the switch with the two cables, is more complicated. The two wire cable will need to be rerouted to the fixture or the other switch. All connections need to be in junction boxes and remain accessible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: