No power to outlets/lights

Old 10-24-19, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No power to outlets/lights

I have a set of outdoor lights in the front of my house, one of the lights isnt working and thereís no power to the wires that lead to the light. I have another set of lights on the side of the house, same issue, one doesnít work and no power to the wires. There an outlet outside not working, again no power to supplying wires. One more outlet in my hallway bathroom, exact same issue with no power to wires that supply the outlet. All issues began around the same time so I assumed a gfci issue. The only gfci outlets are in the kitchen, both bathrooms and a gfci breaker in the panel box. I tested all gfci outlets and all are working properly. The outlet outside was corroded so I replaced it just to cover that base but the issue still persists. Iím a novice and have covered all bases I know. Before I spend an outrageous sum to have a pro come to fix whatís likely a simple problem.... please help

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-19, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Did you test wires with a meter? Usually the problem is the last working outlet or the first not working outlet in circuit. Move any wires back stabbed to screws as we find this a common problem.

Old 10-24-19, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re

Pugs, thank you for the reply.
I did test with a voltage tester and got zeros across the board to all affected outlets/lights.

im not sure how to test specific outlets in the chain because Itís a single outlet outside as well as in the bathroom so there arenít any others close by. I did test every other outlet the house and found nothing wrong.

for the lights... Iím not sure if both left and right fixtures are wired to the same circuit (would make sense if they were but I donít know) but for both front and side set of lights only one of the two lights work (the left light works right doesnít for both sets).

Old 10-24-19, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
You need to look at and assess the circuit.

You are discussing receptacles and lights.
Typically a receptacle will be always live while the lights will be switched.

You are discussing four outside lights. Two in the front and two on the side.
One works in the front and one on the side. Makes little sense.
Are the lights switched ? One switch..... two switches ?

Outside lights are rarely on a GFI circuit. If yours were..... they would all be dead. Not half and half.