Planning to Add a Dedicated 220v Washer/Dryer Circuit

Old 10-26-19, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Planning to Add a Dedicated 220v Washer/Dryer Circuit

I've got a Bryant breaker at the bottom of the building that feeds into a Homeline Square D subpanel at the third story. I need to add a dedicated circuit for a new washer/dryer.

My problem is I have to run wire from the ground floor breaker, through roughly 40 ft of metal conduit, that goes up 3 stories and has roughly 5 90 bends in it's 40ft path. Is trying to fish the wire up the conduit possible? Our are there better, faster methods to getting the through?

It's a really old house, so that main breaker only has two 120v circuits powering the entire house. One 20 amp circuit powers all lights and plugs, and the second 20 amp powers the gas heater.

​​​​

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-19, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
Not quite sure what the picture of the panel is supposed to show us.
That two pole breaker is the "improper" main breaker feeding that panel.

Is that conduit with the red, black and white wire where you need to pull more wires ?
Five 90's is over the code maximum and can be very hard to pull thru.
Three is the usual maximum before a pull point is needed.

If that conduit had to be used...... you would pull out those wires with a good pull string on them and then pull in the total number of wires you need.

Old 10-26-19, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Posted this late last night and realized today that the picture doesn't really show much in terms of what I'm asking lol.
​​​​
​​Yes, the conduit with the red black and white wires would be the one where I'd need to pull wires through. That conduit has wires for one 20A 120v and the second 20amp breaker for our gas heater. The conduit leads to a sub panel that has 1 20amp breaker for all electricity in the house (except gas heater) and a 20A dedicated circuit for our heater

If I had my way I'd gut the entire circuitry, but unfortunately it's not an option.

It sound like I shouldn't pull more wire through the existing conditions, as it would be really hard and not up to code. Maybe a faster option while proper trying to stay code within code would be to just place a separate conduit to run the 240v circuit?
​​​​​

Old 10-26-19, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
PVC. So little capacity in the system you probably don't have enough to run the dryer without an upgrade.

Old 10-27-19, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 380 Posts
On second look..... I see that panel is connected with an offset nipple. What is above it ?
More than likely that two pole breaker is not needed there and those wires should be protected coming in.