damaged wire insulation

Old 10-29-19, 07:09 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
damaged wire insulation

I found a small scuffed portion of 12awg wire right where it enters a box at the fitting. I think its just the nylon sheath got damaged when pulling. I didnt see exposed copper so I covered it in heatshrink tubing as a repair.

My only concern is that the portion of copper is weakened or actually nicked or that I fatigued it when I repaired it. However, copper wire seems pretty tough when it comes to fatigue, im thinking the insulation would split, exposing copper, before severing in half. It may take some serious, abnormal flexing inside an electrical box to cause failure in this way.

Have you ever seen a broken wire where only the nylon portion of the insulation was compromised?
Does a nick or weak portion of wire heat and burn/melt insulation?

Old 10-29-19, 10:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Heat shrink if the insulation was damaged.
If the copper isn't damaged, no reason to replace.

Old 10-29-19, 11:24 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
My only concern is that the portion of copper is weakened or actually nicked or that I fatigued it when I repaired it.
beejoe, wire is stressed to some extent at many joints / splices. It sounds like the wire itself wasn't damaged beyond a scratch so you should be fine, but heat shrink will provide extra protection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: