Flickering Lights in Kitchen

Old 10-31-19, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flickering Lights in Kitchen

The lights in my kitchen flicker and dim whenever I use the microwave. The house was built in the 1960's. I checked several of the outlets and the voltage drops from 119VAC to 114VAC when the microwave is in use. I tightened and checked all the lines in the breaker box and it is still doing the same thing. What would be my next thing to check? Should I check the connections to all the outlets and lights and make sure they are secure? I was thinking of having the electric company come out to test the house under load or should I try some other fixes before I do that? Also, I don't think I am getting the voltage drop in any other area of the house. I didn't test every outlet, but I did test a few in some other rooms. Any feedback would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-19, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
What would be my next thing to check?
Nothing. What you are experiencing is normal. The microwave is likely on the same circuit as the lights. (I'm guessing it is an over the range unit) The fix is to run a dedicated circuit for the microwave.

Old 11-01-19, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
Agreed with Tolyn. If you were wiring a kitchen to today's standards, you'd have a few additional circuits in the kitchen to handle the higher-draw appliances and possibly higher amperage circuits and larger wire to handle that load.

Even though your kitchen was built a while back, before microwaves, blenders, coffee makers, etc. were a thing, it likely has circuit breakers and reasonably recent wiring, so I wouldn't be concerned with the safety. If you overload the circuits, the breaker will trip and protect the wiring.

If you plan a kitchen remodel, it would be a good time to upgrade the wiring, but unless there are other concerns, no need to do it immediately.

Old 11-02-19, 09:43 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
even the house I had that was built ~1980 only had two kitchen circuits, so I couldn't run the microwave and other high-amp stuff on the same circuit without browning out. My current house that I adjusted the wiring on has the microwave on a circuit with maybe another light-duty fixture.