Flickering Lights in Kitchen

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-31-19, 04:53 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flickering Lights in Kitchen

The lights in my kitchen flicker and dim whenever I use the microwave. The house was built in the 1960's. I checked several of the outlets and the voltage drops from 119VAC to 114VAC when the microwave is in use. I tightened and checked all the lines in the breaker box and it is still doing the same thing. What would be my next thing to check? Should I check the connections to all the outlets and lights and make sure they are secure? I was thinking of having the electric company come out to test the house under load or should I try some other fixes before I do that? Also, I don't think I am getting the voltage drop in any other area of the house. I didn't test every outlet, but I did test a few in some other rooms. Any feedback would be helpful.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-31-19, 05:54 PM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,973
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
What would be my next thing to check?
Nothing. What you are experiencing is normal. The microwave is likely on the same circuit as the lights. (I'm guessing it is an over the range unit) The fix is to run a dedicated circuit for the microwave.
 
  #3  
Old 11-01-19, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,717
Received 29 Votes on 28 Posts
Agreed with Tolyn. If you were wiring a kitchen to today's standards, you'd have a few additional circuits in the kitchen to handle the higher-draw appliances and possibly higher amperage circuits and larger wire to handle that load.

Even though your kitchen was built a while back, before microwaves, blenders, coffee makers, etc. were a thing, it likely has circuit breakers and reasonably recent wiring, so I wouldn't be concerned with the safety. If you overload the circuits, the breaker will trip and protect the wiring.

If you plan a kitchen remodel, it would be a good time to upgrade the wiring, but unless there are other concerns, no need to do it immediately.
 
  #4  
Old 11-02-19, 09:43 AM
maarkr's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 320
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
even the house I had that was built ~1980 only had two kitchen circuits, so I couldn't run the microwave and other high-amp stuff on the same circuit without browning out. My current house that I adjusted the wiring on has the microwave on a circuit with maybe another light-duty fixture.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: