New electrical outlets

Old 06-03-01, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm in the process of buying my first home and after looking at 50+ houses I've determined that builders never install enough electrical outlets in the garage and basements. Is there a good website that will take me through the steps to safely install outlets where I want them?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-01, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not an electrician (there are many good ones here), but you can go the "Build/Remodel" and "Repair/Fix-It" sections above and to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ for good illustrated how-to basics.
If you have specific ?, the pros here will be glad to help you.
Good Luck!

Old 06-03-01, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, tis true. Almost all builders install exactly one receptacle in the garage and one receptacle in the basement. This is the minimum they are required to by code. The first thing I do when I move into a house is to install more receptacles and more circuits in the garage. This is really easy if the main panel happens to be in the garage.

I have found web sites to be a great source of overview information about various projects. However, for enough detail to actually do it safely, there is no substitute for a book. The public library and your local Home Depot are great sources for such books. Look at several, since there's always a few new tricks in each one.