Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Do I need to wire for an electric range/dryer if I'll have the propane type?

Old 11-13-19, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm doing the wiring in my new own house. I sent this question to the inspector couple days ago but no response so far. So I'm trying my luck here. Is any mention in the code that I need to wire for electric range or electric dryer even if you are planning to have a propane range or dryer? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-19, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
One of the electrical guys should be along with a definitive answer, but just as an opinion I think I would wire it anyway. Never know what the future holds.

Old 11-13-19, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
There is no requirement but keep in mind that even a gas dryer and stove need electricity and must have an outlet. With a gas stove or dryer you are not required to install a 240 volt outlet.

I would put in a dedicated (on it's own circuit) 20 amp 120 volt outlet for the stove however. Some gas stoves have an electric browning element and can consume a fair bit of power. You don't want a breaker to trip if you're using the oven and the coffee maker at the same time.

Old 11-13-19, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If nothing else...I do it for resale. Some people hate electric dryers and ranges (I'm one) and want gas (either NG or LPG). Adding it after the fact can be very expensive, but doing it when the walls are open in just more labor with a minimal materials cost.

I know in Canada...your hydro (like how I know that common term? lol) is normally pretty cheap whereas gas is expensive. Down here, (at least where I live) it's just the opposite. Some places in the US electric everything is how they roll.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-14-19, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 29 Posts
That was my thinking, too, about resale.

OMG I agreed with the swabbie!

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 11-14-19, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just an update. I've got a call back from inspector and looks like there is regulation in place to have the 240V/50A outlet for electrical range installed even I'll not used. On the other hand, the 240V power outlet for an electrical dryer is not required. Still need the 110V outlet for propane dryer.
I agreed to have it but unfortunately my property is off the grid. To bring hydro on site the "sweet hydro company" wants 60K...yes 60K which is ridiculous, so my only source is propane, solar and wind resources.

here is the link for regulation: https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files...cal-stoves.pdf

Old 11-14-19, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
Great.... you've gotta run two circuits for your stove and use up three slots in your panel.

Thank you for posting the link. It was an interesting read.