Updating ITE EQ20MBB distribution panel

Old 11-14-19, 12:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Updating ITE EQ20MBB distribution panel

I want to replace the main bus bars (that the breakers attach to) in my panel as several stabs have burned broken or melted. Since ITE was bought out by Siemens and then dissolved, finding the correct parts has been difficult. The reason I want to replace ONLY those bus bars is the local power company makes no promises concerning turning the power back on, it may take days. If I just replace the bus bars I can simply turn off the main breaker, remove the breakers, replace the bus bars and put it all back together without having to disconnect power at the meter. I have seen upgrade kits that contain only the connector from the main breaker to the bus bar. What I need is the actual bus bars. Has anyone done this before and know where I can find the parts I need?

Kayakr01 voted this post useful.
Old 11-15-19, 09:21 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If I just replace the bus bars I can simply turn off the main breaker, remove the breakers, replace the bus bars and put it all back together without having to disconnect power at the meter.

What you are proposing to do is extremely dangerous and shouldn't be attempted. I would suggest you call a licensed electrical contractor to change the entire panel. A licensed contractor will pull the meter and know what steps to follow to get the wiring approval to the utility and get the meter resealed legally with no one getting hurt.

Old 11-18-19, 10:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I appreciate your concern but I have been in industrial maintenance and residential electrical for the past 40 years and I am well aware of the appropriate cautions to take, thank you. I am simply having a hard time finding the parts and I am probably going to have to replace the entire distribution panel only because the parts seem to be unavailable.

Old 11-19-19, 05:13 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
ITE was acquired by Siemens over 30 years ago so it is no wonder the parts wouldn't be available.

When you take out the permit to replace your panel, just pull the meter. The inspector generally gets the wiring approval to the utility to have the meter resealed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: