Electric range ok to run without lower oven element?

Old 11-21-19, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Arrow Electric range ok to run without lower oven element?

The lower oven element gave out on my regular style electric stove/range. So I ordered a new one after I took it out. Having to wait several more days before the replacement element arrives. Just kinda wondering if it'll be just fine/okay if I go ahead and plug the stove back in so I can at least go ahead use the stovetop burners while that element is removed.

Popular Reply

11-27-19, 12:26 PM
manden
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
"For example I set the oven to 350 but the beeper will go off when the oven is only at like 225 or whatever."
Does it eventually get to and maintain the set temperature?
Some ovens are just slower than others during preheat.
If the oven reaches and maintains temperature then your oven sensor is OK.
The early ready signal I am not sure of but does sound like a control board problem.

Nearly all electric ovens switch back and forth between the bake and broil elements during pre-heat and bake cycles.
This gives a much more even temperature gradient in the oven.

Old 11-21-19, 08:13 PM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Yes. make sure the wire ends to the element are insulated from each other and any metal before turning the ranger power back on.

Old 11-21-19, 08:58 PM
Will do. Thanks beelzebob.

Old 11-22-19, 11:58 PM
Another question: Would it be expected that the upper (broiler) oven element would have no power if the lower oven element was removed? Because I noticed it doesn't work when I tried turning it on with that lower one removed.

Old 11-23-19, 06:01 AM
B
Most electric range oven switches allow separate bake or broil element selection so the oven switch may be in wrong position. If the element has a temperature control sensor, the sensor may have failed in an open state. If you can provide the schematic, I can be more specific.

Old 11-23-19, 06:12 AM
M
A make and model number might be helpful.

The broil element should run on it's own when the unit is in broil mode but need a wiring diagram/operators manual to confirm this.

Old 11-23-19, 12:07 PM
As far as obtaining an electrical diagram/schematic for the stove, I went to https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ontentId=16290 and came up with the following information:

"Gas and Electric Ranges Wiring Diagram Location
The wiring diagram (mini-manual/schematic) is packaged with each model. The most common location is listed below:

Behind the control panel.
Taped to the right or left side of the drawer.
Behind the drawer on the left or right side."

So I looked so far at all three places as listed above but did not see any. Unless perhaps its inside behind the control panel. And I need to take some time to figure out how to open/access into the control panel. The make/model of the stove is General Electric JBP21GS1WH

Old 11-26-19, 10:06 AM
Update: I found no electrical diagram/schematic behind the control panel either; this stove was previously used and for whatever reason any such diagram that may have been included originally is missing.

Anyway the replacement element arrived and after installing it both the upper (broiler) and lower element are working now.

Old 11-26-19, 03:33 PM
B
Glad you got it working and thanks for the update.

Old 11-26-19, 05:23 PM
Actually it works bakes/broils fine but even before the lower element gave out the stove seemed to take longer than you'd expect to come up to the set temperature. And that is still the case. Eventually it does come up to the set temperature but it just takes longer than you'd expect and what I'm used to with any other regular style electric range like this. And the indicator beep that is supposed to beep to indicate when the oven has heated to the set temperature, beeps way too early. For example I set the oven to 350 but the beeper will go off when the oven is only at like 225 or whatever. So I just keep an oven thermometer sitting inside so I can look and actually know when the oven is finally up to my set temperature. I'm guessing this might have something to do with a heat sensor or something that is bad, or perhaps the control board itself might be bad? I could probably try to do some testing with proper guidance to determine if this issue can be fixed, but probably the first thing anybody would need is that schematic/diagram for this model, which is missing as I mentioned.

Old 11-26-19, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Electric ovens can operate unpredictably. Many run the bake element and then the broil element before the cycle ends. Both elements cannot run at the same time. Are you sure the broiler element is working ?

Here's a holiday gift....... the service manual for your GE electric range. You need to tell me after you download it as I'll remove it from this thread. PDf's take up a lot of storage space and mine is packed now.

Attachment 111273

Last edited by PJmax; 01-21-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-26-19, 07:33 PM
Yeah Pete thanks I downloaded it. Much appreciated! My broiler element does indeed work (now since reinstalling a working lower element; it did not work while the lower element was out) when I turn it on broil. Never really paid any attention to whether the broil element runs at the end of any bake "cycle", so don't know. Kinda don't think so. I'll look over the service manual you provided and see if there's a way I can figure out a fix to the issue I described in post #10 here. thanks again

Old 11-27-19, 11:12 AM
Hmm, I'm wondering if I was to follow the "adjust oven bake temperature" instructions seen on on the page in the manual provided by Pete (screenshot below) whether that could remedy the problem I described in post #10 here. I'm really not clear on whether I'd want to increase or decrease the temperature, based on what I explained in that post, or whether that would have any effect at all toward remedying the issue.

Old 11-27-19, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
That temperature adjustment is only for fine tuning. It's usually only a 10-15 degree maximum shift.
Looks like a max shift of 35 degrees with your oven.

Old 11-27-19, 12:26 PM
M
"For example I set the oven to 350 but the beeper will go off when the oven is only at like 225 or whatever."
The early ready signal I am not sure of but does sound like a control board problem.

Nearly all electric ovens switch back and forth between the bake and broil elements during pre-heat and bake cycles.
This gives a much more even temperature gradient in the oven.

PJmax, sgull voted this post useful.
Old 11-27-19, 01:26 PM
Yes, always. eventually.

Ok well then the oven with this is slower than any other regular electric range i've ever had, or used. I've gotten used to it and I can live with ol' slowpoke if I have to I suppose.

Ok, then I guess the sensor is... ok. Good to know.

Control board probably expensive to replace. Maybe I'd luck out and find a cheap used one on ebay that works okay. Would just need a way to identify my old one and make sure I get the right replacement.

My oven included ^. According to the manual.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-19, 01:45 PM
M
I assumed that your stove top elements all work/heat up as you would expect.

If they also are slow you may have a voltage problem.
My best guess would be a bad connection at the terminal strip.
Might also just be poor power at this location.

Old 11-27-19, 02:00 PM
Stove top elements heat up fine and fast as I've ever considered normal...

Old 11-27-19, 02:57 PM
M
Then it is what it is.

I also have a slow heating oven at least according to the wife who reminds be about it on a regular basis.
I have checked everything on it and it is also just the way it is.

It also takes forever to cool down but I do not know if the two are related.

Old 11-27-19, 05:32 PM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: