Pull-chain light fixtures

Old 06-04-01, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I am looking into replacing three ancient pull-chain fixtures in the top floor of my 90-year-old house (only because one fried a few days ago). I am unable to find any new fixtures other than very basic bare-bulb types. Installing wall switches is not an option, as the wiring is (probably original) knob and tube wiring, with no access without putting holes in walls, and I don't intend to replace walls! Any ideas on how to retain pull-chain lights with more attractive ceiling fixtures?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-01, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking

Pat1911,

You have a couple of choices.
1) Wiremold makes some attractive surface raceways that you could use to mount a light switch.
2) Check this website http://www.smarthome.com/2533ls.html.
Good luck!

Thinman

Old 06-04-01, 02:57 PM
You could buy a standard light fixture and then attach a pull chain switch like those used in ceiling fans

Old 06-05-01, 06:20 AM
Visiting Guest
I see I've got more options than I thought!
How involved is putting a pull-chain switch on a "regular" fixture? I've become quite fond of the pull-chains, and there is a variety of decorative pulls that I can put at the ends -- I just didn't care for the bare bulb look. At one time, there used to be shades available that would clip onto the bulbs, but I've heard that they were notorious for melting.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-05-01, 04:59 PM
First of all by the fixture of your choice, make sure like around the top edge or somewhere on the fixture you can make a hole to put a pull chain attachment in. They sell pull chain swithches at just about every hardware store. To wire it up you connect one end of the switch to the black on the light and the other wire goes to the hot in your box. Then you just connect white to white for the neutural as you would normally. Don't forget to ground the fixture.

Old 06-06-01, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
You've described it so well, it actually sounds easy. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks so much!