Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Missing One Leg at Main. Dead Leg has Continuity to Ground

Old 11-27-19, 07:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all. New to the forum. I came home from work the other day and half of my circuits were dead. I tested at the Main and discovered one leg is out. I only got 120v on one leg and nothing across both (should be 240v). I called the POCO, and they pulled my meter and said everything was good on their end. I changed out my main breaker, and I have the same issue. Still missing a leg. I turned off all two poll breakers for the larger appliances. One thing that I have noticed is that I have continuity from the non working leg to my ground, which doesn't seems right, but I was reading that it could be something that is switched on somewhere on that circuit causing the continuity to ground. I have an electrician scheduled to come out after Thanksgiving, but I'm wondering if it can be something simple that I am missing.

Old 11-27-19, 07:27 AM
A
Received 110 Votes on 102 Posts
You turned off all the two pole breakers.

Yes, a single pole breaker on the dead leg still flipped on and things on that (currently dead 120 volt) branch circuit still plugged in and switched on will give continuity from the panel bus bar for that (dead) leg to neutral. Neutral is (should be) bonded to ground in the main panel. Therefore in this circumstance you would get continuity from the dead leg to ground.

Old 11-27-19, 08:00 AM
J
Thank you for your reply. Yes my ground is bonded at the service panel, and I didn't think about the single pole breakers. I'll turn off and test. I see no visible damage to the panel. Another strange thing is that if I swap the legs I get the other side of the service. I can get 120v from each leg to ground individually, but I'm not getting 240 across both poles of the main. I was thinking that maybe something was back feeding and that they are both on the same leg for some reason. The POCO says that its good to the meter.

Old 11-27-19, 08:12 AM
A
Received 110 Votes on 102 Posts
Originally y ou said you got 120 volts from 1 leg to ground, zero volts from the other leg to ground, and approximately zero volts between the two legs.

Now you say you got 120 volts from 1 leg to ground, 120 volts from the other leg to ground, and approximately zero volts between the two legs.

Something changed. What other things did you do? What do you mean by swapping the legs?

Old 11-27-19, 08:22 AM
J
Sorry I was testing things after the original post. I'm done doing that. When the breaker is connected and on I am getting 120v on one leg and 0 on the other I am not getting 240 across. When I disconnect the seemingly dead leg from the breaker (i.e. when I was changing the breaker for a new one). I get 120v to ground on the leg when it is disconnected. If I swap the legs on the breaker the other leg works, but I never get 240 across both. Actually I got 83v across both when they were disconnected from the main breaker...

Old 11-27-19, 08:26 AM
J
What I mean by swapping legs is the two hot wires coming into each pole of the main breaker

Old 11-27-19, 09:04 AM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
I assume you have a main disconnect prior to the main breaker that you are switching the legs on that can be turned off so not to be switching live wires on the main breaker. With the main breaker turned off are you testing the voltage on the input side of the main breaker? I'm asking all of this as I'm confused as to what is being tested.

Old 11-27-19, 09:24 AM
J
Yes I was testing the voltage on the input side of the main breaker.

Old 11-27-19, 10:07 AM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
Where are you measuring voltages? If you measure zero volts on one of the main breaker inputs then the problem is before the main breaker. Could be a loose connection in the meter pan.

Old 11-27-19, 10:25 AM
J
Yes I was thinking it could be the pan. I have an electrician coming out on Friday, and I will probably just take the opportunity to upgrade the service. If the pan were to be the issue would the power company's meter test still show that they are giving me everything?

Old 11-27-19, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
If the pan were to be the issue would the power company's meter test still show that they are giving me everything?
The power company is lax sometimes in checking. They should be checking at the meter but don't always. A loose jaw/clamp on the meter is a common problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: