GFCI Dies After a Month...

Old 12-14-19, 08:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI Dies After a Month...

So I have a GFCI branched off another circuit in a remodeled area in my house. It worked perfect for a month, didn't trip, all of a sudden it tripped and could not be reset. After checking outlets and wiring of receptacles before and after the GFCI, I decided to put a new one in. Worked perfect for a month again (didn't trip at all and I was able to manually reset it) when all of a side it completely died too and I can't reset it. Is this just a matter of a cheap GFCI or is there something else I should be looking for. I think the second time it died, there was a toaster and coffee maker operating at the same time in the same line....

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 12-14-19, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
If you have the GFI receptacle only connected to LINE...... then it sounds like a defective receptacle. If you have additional receptacles connected to the LOAD side..... then you can have a problem in one of those. Disconnect the load and see if the receptacle still trips.

An ohmmeter would be helpful to test the load circuit if you are using one.

You mentioned a toaster and a coffee maker. Are those on the load side ?
Since those are typically two prong appliances.... they don't usually cause a GFI trip.

Old 12-16-19, 08:40 AM
T
So I do have 2 receptacles coming off the load side - I will disconnect the load and see if it still trips. If it does, I'll replace those 2 off the load.

I do have an ohmmeter - should I just check resistance along netural and hot for all the receptacles off the load?

Neither the coffee maker nor the toaster were connected into the load - the toaster was right on the GFI and the coffeemaker is before the GFI branch. Also, I did confirm both appliances only have a 2-prong cord.

Old 12-16-19, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
If you have an ohmmeter...... trip the GFI receptacle or remove the load wires.
Check from hot/black to ground and white/neutral to ground. Neither should show any continuity.

Old 12-22-19, 09:26 AM
T
So, finally had a chance to dig into this a bit. I removed the load wires from the GFCI and attempted to reset the receptacle. It still would not reset - it's just as if the reset button won't catch - it just loosely pushes in and then springs back to its outward position.

With the load wires removed, I checked hot to ground which read completely open and the neutral to ground which also read completely open. Just to be detailed, I was checking this resistance on the load 12-2 ONLY.

If I'm understanding everything correctly, it sounds like the GFCI receptacle is broken again. Just odd that it's the same receptacle and broke at almost the same interval of time.

Guess I'll try a better GFCI. Let me know if I'm reading this wrong. Thanks again!

Old 12-22-19, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Makes sure there is 120v to the line side of the GFI receptacle. It won't reset without power.

Old 12-22-19, 09:43 AM
T
Thanks for the quick response! So just checked line voltage - I'm getting 117.2 from hot to neutral and the exact same reading from hot to ground. Still won't reset with power applied . . .

Old 12-22-19, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
That would be a defective receptacle.

Old 12-22-19, 09:48 AM
T
Thank you so much Pete! You've saved my butt many times on this forum. I'll be throwing a new / upgraded GFCI in there. Appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: