Electrical run partially in conduit

Old 12-15-19, 08:07 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical run partially in conduit

Hi,
I am remodeling my basement and I am running a few new circuits up through my attic and down into my basement. Once in the basement I am drilling holes through the floor joists to get to the locations where I need outlets. I then need to go down the poured concrete walls. The wire will then be covered with insofast insulated wall panels so I am pretty sure I need conduit against the walls. It's going to be near to impossible to get conduit into the attic. Is it to code to run the NM 12/2 all the way to the concrete walls and then use conduit to go down to outlets and between outlets? If so do I need a certain box before going into the conduit. Or can the wires just go from exposed right into conduit. Thanks Mike

Old 12-15-19, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Yes, you can sleave nm cable in a raceway. You just gave to follow the conduit fill rules and install it properly. No box is needed at the end of the conduit, just install a bushing or connector on the end of the conduit where the cable enters. For running between boxes with conduit I would recommend using individual THHN conductors as it is easier to install.
If you do use NM cable you do not remove the sheath from the cable when running it in the raceway.

Old 12-15-19, 08:43 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
The wire will then be covered with insofast insulated wall panels so I am pretty sure I need conduit against the walls
There is no requirement to put these wires in conduit.

Old 12-16-19, 09:43 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
There is no requirement to put these wires in conduit.

But I would. ......................

Old 12-16-19, 12:04 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok I was on the fence about the conduit. I was under the assumption that putting them against my poured concrete foundation would require conduit even though it 2 inches from nailing surface.
is the extra protection necessary? Are the other benefits to the conduit. Appreciate the input.

Old 12-16-19, 12:12 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Its a choice. I would (and do) use EMT for the vertical drop, but not for the sideways runs. It protects against drilling into the wire for hanging pictures and such. OTOH, if it is behind 2" or more of insulation, then that's enough for me.

Old 12-16-19, 12:18 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
It is not required. It is not going to be subject to damage after you cover it with the panels.

Old 12-17-19, 06:34 AM
P
Received 273 Upvotes on 230 Posts
There is no fill rules for sections of conduit when used as a protective sleeve. Conduit just needs to large enough so the pull is easy so not to damage the cable. Be sure to use bushings on open ends of conduit to protect cable from sharp edges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: