Charging the generator battery

Old 12-17-19, 12:30 PM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Charging the generator battery

I have a Generac 6500 generator with a battery for easier starting. However, the battery has lost most of its charge and won't start the generator. I can't find the charging cable and I'm not even sure I had one since I bought it used. Can I charge the battery with jumper cables from my Simplicity 12 volt battery? Thank you.

Rich

Old 12-17-19, 12:57 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
That will charge, but it won't fully charge. You need a little higher voltage (about 13.5 to 14V) for full charge.
You can purchase a cheap battery charger if your generator didn't come with one. A cheap battery maintainer charger (a simple transformer wall wart) will work fine, but take a bit longer to charge.

In a pinch, you can charge your battery by connecting to your car battery with engine running, but not a good option for a longer use.

Old 12-17-19, 12:59 PM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
As long as the battery from your Simplicity has as many or more cold cranking amps, or CCA, as the battery on your generator you should be able to jump start it with jumper cables, but you would need a battery charger to charge it. Typically, the battery would be charged by the charging system on the engine, just like on a vehicle or lawn mower or whatever, not by the generator part that you plug your cords into, so not sure what you mean by charging cable.

Old 12-17-19, 01:19 PM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The manual says the accessories includes a charging cable that would plug into a wall outlet, but I bought it used and I don't have one. It has to be some sort of adapter to plug into a 120 circuit but, like I say, I don't have one. It also says that the battery should be replaced every two years and maybe that's what I should do. This morning I lost power to the house but I couldn't get the generator started. Manually cranking it was more than a bear and there wasn't enough juice in the battery to kick it on. That's why I thought that perhaps I could jump it off my tractor but I didn't want to cause any damage. Thankfully the power came back on but I want to be ready for when and if it happens again. Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-17-19, 01:32 PM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
So why not go to Generac and by the proper charging cable? About $15 on Amazon.

Old 12-17-19, 01:36 PM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
Got it. That sounds like a trickle charger that you would clamp on your battery terminals and plug into the wall when the generator is not used for extended periods of time in order to keep it fresh, just like is done with cars, motorcycles, etc. that are parked over the winter. And it's a good idea, but probably not going to do anything for a dead battery. So yeah, as long as you're out of the woods, backed against the wall, and don't know how old it is or what condition it's in, I would replace it too.

Old 12-17-19, 02:54 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
Most portable generators doesn't have charging circuit for the starter battery. Some has 12V battery charger outlet, but still not wired to the battery and have to manually charge.

Honeywell I bought for someone else few years back came with a trickle maintainer charger (just a wall wart) and the generator had DC barrel connector to plug this charger in.

Lead acid batteries should be charged at least every 6 months. Once they are fully discharged the battery will be dead.

Old 12-17-19, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I have a battery tender for my tractor. I also Have my old harley tender.

I plug in after every use..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-T...arger/36007111

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/battery-tender

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-18-19, 06:38 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
I use one of those battery tenders from HF.

Cen-Tech 12V Delux Battery Maintainer and Float Charger

Using the quick connect I'm switching from the UTV battery to the lawn mower battery about once every two weeks or so. They stay connect for about a day.

If I had a tractor Like Lawrosa or if equipment was outside, I would use a better quality unit.

Old 12-18-19, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
If I had a tractor Like Lawrosa or if equipment was outside, I would use a better quality unit.
My battery on my harley lasted 9 years with that little plug in tender.

Once a year I would blast the battery with my old sears charger ( 14.7 volts- 10 amps) to cook off the sulfate.. Thats it.

Old 12-18-19, 05:26 PM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
A battery on a portable generator needs to be connected to a battery charger permanently since the generator doesn't have a charge function because it is not normally running. Since a portable generator has to be connected to it loads manually (after isolating the loads from the commercial power source) when there is a power outage, I think a portable power pack would be a good choice. When there is a power outage the power pack can easily be transported from its charging station and connected to the portable generator to start it. The power pack can also be used for other things like starting an auto. It is good to run the generator under load on some schedule to verify its operability and improve chances of availability when you need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: