Wire size?

Old 06-05-01, 05:29 PM
Dino
Visiting Guest
Would it be preferable to run 12 Ga. romex to a new ceiling fan or is that overkill? What about for recepticals in a familiy room say at a location where ALL of the audio/video equipment will be plugged in?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-01, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You've asked a somewhat religious question.

In my opinion, if the small cost difference doesn't bother you, and if the fact that 12 gauge is slightly harder to pull doesn't bother you, then use 12 gauge as the smallest wire you ever use.

Two possible exceptions:
(1) I prefer to use 14 gauge when extending an existing circuit with 14 gauge. Less chance of future confusion.
(2) As Thinman noted last week, there might be some situations where 12 gauge would cause a cable fill violation that 14 gauge would not. In my opinion, these situations are rare and can often be eliminated by just buying a larger box.

Old 06-06-01, 08:46 AM
Dino
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

That is my feeling. I am already putting so much cost and effort into this project. The cost difference in materials is negligable when you look at the "big picture" And as far as pulling the cables, not really THAT much difference either. I will have to carefully review the "box-fill" rules as I do have a couple of switch "control-centers" with several combination (dual) switches that could potentially give me problems.

Would the fact that I am using 12 Ga. wire AUTOMATICALLY dictate that it be a 20 amp circuit and breaker?

Old 06-06-01, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, using 12 gauge doesn't mean you have to have a 20A breaker. On the other hand, if the circuit is controlled by a 20A breaker, then you must use 12 gauge.

Old 06-06-01, 07:09 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John Nelson / eclipse, couldn't have said it better if I had put study to it for a week. Well said.

Wg