Bedrooms 2 and 3 no juice in any outlets

Old 01-06-20, 08:58 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bedrooms 2 and 3 no juice in any outlets

Happy New Year, I hope all is well.

My Kids bedrooms are adjacent to each other. Since we moved in, about three years ago, the only outlets that work in my two kids' rooms are the AC outlets.

The house was built by Haven Homes in Eastern PA and trucked out here in City Island, NY in 2002 or so.

I figure one wire has gone offline and all of the other outlets are wired in series.

I don't trust the labels on the panel because I have discovered other circuits are mislabeled.

So far, I removed each outlet cover and my tester shows no juice in any of the hot wires. I tested my volt meter in a good outlet and it reads 124 volts or so. In the troubled outlets, the voltmeter is reading 0.9 to 4.9 volts.

What is the best way to go here?

Shall I pull each outlet until i find the live wire?

or Shall I check the Panel for a bad circuit breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-20, 02:10 PM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
Remove the circuit breaker cover and verify 120 vac, using voltmeter, on wire connected to each 120 vac breaker. If no 120 vac, reset or replace breaker. Next verify there are no GFCIs in tripped condition. Next you have to identify the breakers with their loads. For overhead lights, turn it on and have someone observe when it goes off while turning breakers off and on, one at a time. Do the same for outlets while a lamp is plugged into the outlet. It is customary to have room lights and outlets on different breakers. Hopefully this maps all breakers with wire attached and measuring 120 vac. If not, you may need an electrician. For the non working outlets, I would also get an electrician unless you have a strong idea of the wire location that should provide power to the non working outlets. The problem will be in the last working outlet or the first non working outlet of that circuit, Remove any wires that are back stabbed on the outlets and move to outlet screws or pigtail with wire nut. Good luck.

Old 01-06-20, 05:20 PM
Received 91 Votes on 81 Posts
The house was built by Haven Homes in Eastern PA and trucked out here in City Island, NY in 2002 or so.

Is this a panelized home or a manufactured home?

Old 01-06-20, 08:08 PM
J
Received 264 Votes on 229 Posts
Is this a one piece or two piece home? Two piece homes have a spot where the electrical circuits plug together between the two halves. Sounds like possibly one of the circuit plugs might not be together.

Old 01-07-20, 07:23 PM
T
Thanks, I believe it is four pieces (it's a townhouse 20 feet by 37 feet by 2 stories)

Old 01-07-20, 07:41 PM
T
It is a Modular, not a panelized home.

Old 01-07-20, 10:59 PM
J
Received 264 Votes on 229 Posts
Look for the junction point where all the electrical plugs together between the modules.
Could look something like this but hopefully a bit neater.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 01-09-20, 02:42 PM
T
Joed you were exactly right, thank you!

the wire harnesses were just like in your pictures. Mine are in my attic. I lived in the house for three years and never knew about these wire harnesses in the attic.

My electrician and I went up to the attic, found the separated wire harness, snapped it back together and all seven outlets came right back online.

All the best..