Gfci on outdoor irrigation pump vs sump

Old 01-10-20, 10:41 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfci on outdoor irrigation pump vs sump

Hello,

From the little reading I’ve done, it seems an outdoor irrigation pump (pumping lake water to water grass) does not need a gfci.......while a sump pump inside does need protection.
Is it because the sump pump is submerged? What if it was a tower pump where the motor assembly is not submerged.

Just checking as my irrigation pump (hardwired and freestanding on land)) has no protection and hoping this is ok. Located in Ontario.

Thanks

Old 01-10-20, 11:16 AM
J
Received 336 Votes on 289 Posts
How close is the irrigation pump to the lake? I think that is what is going to determine it. The sump pump plugs in likely within 6 feet of the water filled sump.

Old 01-10-20, 11:18 AM
Z
Itís right near the shore. Itís about 6-8 feet above the water line due to the drop-off from the land to the waterline.

Old 01-10-20, 11:19 AM
J
Here is direct from the ESA FAQ page.
An irrigation pump would be a water pressure system pump.

Question
Does the Ontario Code require ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection for sump pumps or water pressure system pumps in homes?
Answer
No, the Code does not require GFCI protection of these specific appliances unless they are supplied by receptacles that happen to be within 1.5 m (5') of a sink, bathtub or shower stall.

See Bulletin 68-7-* Swimming pool, hot tub and spa installations for additional information.

Rules 26-704.

Reference Ontario Electrical Safety Code 27th Edition/2018
If the irrigation pump plugs in then the receptacle would need GFCI protection because it is outdoors.

Old 01-10-20, 12:41 PM
Z
Thanks. Just checked my submersible sump pump and it does not have a gfci. Iím surprised by the code as my pit is open (no cover) and constantly has about 6 inches of water. In my case, the plug is about 3 feet off the ground.

I suppose my pit should be covered? Itís the only floor drain in my entire basement. And it has a water powered backup so thereís piping all over the top of the pit.

Old 01-10-20, 01:54 PM
J
Covering the pit would help with humidity and any smells that might there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: