electric

Old 06-05-01, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I HAVE A MOBILEHOME WHICH I WANT TO HOOK UP TO MY ELECTRIC PANEL.IT IS A 100amp SERVICE PANEL.THE HOME HAS A 100amp PANEL IN IT.I AM 33ft.AWAY FROM IT AND DON'T WANT TO MOVE THE OUTSIDES PANEL.THE SERVICE PANEL IS A CUTLER HAMMER BOX WITH A DOUBLE POLE MAIN SHUTOFF IN WITH THE OTHER BREAKERS.NOT A SINGLE MAIN BREAKER AT THE TOP OF THE PANEL.HOW WOULD I DO THIS.WHAT IS CODE.

Old 06-06-01, 12:57 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Sorry, noone in this forum is able to answer your question. The only person able to answer how you will be required to wire that trailer from your home would be the electrical inspector who is authorized as the Authority Having Jurisdiction. This sounds odd, but read the copy of the rule in the NEC that makes this true;

550-23. Service Equipment
(b) Manufactured Home Service Equipment. The manufactured home service equipment shall be permitted to be installed in or on a manufactured home, provided that all of the following conditions are met.
1. The manufactured home is secured to a permanent foundation that complies with applicable building codes.
2. The service equipment is installed in a manner acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
3. The installation of the service equipment complies with Article 230.
4. Means are provided for the connection of a grounding electrode conductor to the service equipment and routing it outside the structure.

Now somethings can be said. The NEC requires a minimum of 100 amp service to your dwelling and also requires a 100 amp service to the mobile or manufactured home. If you only have a 100 amp service in your dwelling, you won't have enough power as you say it to serve the mobile home from your dwelling. You might check with your AHJ to designate whether this home will be ruled a manufactured home or mobile home. Then ask if you can change out the meterbase serving your dwelling to a 325 amp double lug meterbase and utilize the unlimited tap rule allowing one set of lugs in that meter to serve your dwelling and one set to serve you mobile home. This also would have to be approved by the Utility company. Do a lot of research on this project. You easily can run into many stumbling blocks. Contact your local electrical inspector appointed as the AHJ of your area and start there.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: