Would a subpanel work here?

Old 01-15-20, 07:02 AM
E
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Would a subpanel work here?

Doing some research about adding a door or egress window to my basement. Not sure which one or location. One of the locations I am thinking about is the window in the pic shown. (The pic is from 1999/2000. The basement is finished). However, as you can see, there is a trail of wires going to/from the main panel. The main panel is 200 amp. It has to be moved to put a door or window in.

My first guess is that a rewiring is needed. I don't like this option as the basement is finished, however, there is a drop ceiling, so not undoable.

My second guess is to put a subpanel somewhere and have all those circuits go into the sub. I know there are details about the number of circuits I can add, etc. but at this point I am looking for options to open up the space below the window. Thoughts? Thanks

Name:  P1010029.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  367.6 KB

Old 01-15-20, 07:33 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
A sub panel to the left of the window is an option. But it will require a feeder cable from the main panel. So you will need to decide if running one feeder and installing a sub panel or running multiple branch circuits is easier.

Old 01-15-20, 06:53 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
I would probably just add a few junction boxes in an out of the way (yet accessible) spot. Or one larger 8x8 box that everything can splice in. Then new single NM-B cables around the new window back into the panel. The box can be hidden behind a picture or something.

I don't like extra panels around the house typically unless there's a good reason for it. Of course, it's code-compliant, so you can... but I'd rather a well-made splice box and never worry about it again.

Old 01-15-20, 08:52 PM
J
If you removed the cables from the panel and rerouted them up and into the top of the panel many of them might be long enough.

Old 01-16-20, 12:05 AM
E
Okay joed, I'll let my "newby-ness" be exposed: Certainly, running one wire is easier than running multiple wires, no?? Although, the subpanel would have to be out there in the open and that may be a factor in going with Zorfdt's suggestion of junction box/boxes that can be tucked away and with the drop ceiling they'll be accessible.

And, I'm going to have to take into account that the room is now finished.

joed, (since you are in Ontario where I am) do you know if a permit is required for this type of rewire and, since going back into the main panel to rewire, is an electrician required to do the work?

Old 01-16-20, 05:02 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, so you are saying that the room is finished, so all of those cables are no longer accessible as the pic shows?
Geo

Old 01-16-20, 05:40 AM
J
The room is finished but you will need to cut access to run the new feeder. The same access is needed to just move the cables.

Permit is for sure required from ESA.

edee_em voted this post useful.
Old 01-16-20, 05:02 PM
E
That's correct Geo, no access as is. If needed, however, drywall can be taken down. Huge pain, though, that might give other locations a leg up.

Old 01-17-20, 04:02 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, I don’t see any advantage of a sub panel, drywall will still need to be removed for sure , you could put a flush mounted junction box on either side of the proposed door opening, cut the cables in the center of the door opening and bring them into the junction box.
Have fun!
Geo

edee_em voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: