Need help with re-wiring an attic fan thermostat

Old 01-15-20, 01:38 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Need help with re-wiring an attic fan thermostat

I have an attic fan installed in a 8x10 chicken coop, mainly to keep it relatively cool(er) in the summer months. The fan is controller by the attic fan thermostat. Something like this .....

I would like to install a toggle switch in the thermostat housing, so I can bypass the thermostat and turn on the fan manually, turn off the fan, or let the thermostat control the fan. Maybe a ON/OFF/ON SPDT toggle switch???

Anyway, I'm not an electrician, nor do I play one on TV. So any guidance would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Old 01-15-20, 02:58 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
You just need to install a switch between black wire from the power supply and black wire from the motor. You can keep the connection to the thermostat as is and just add a switch in between.

When the switch is on, thermostat will be bypassed. When the switch is off, thermostat will take over.

Old 01-15-20, 03:17 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You would need a three position switch; on/bypass, off, thermostat.
Could also be done with two switches; one master on/off and one bypass.

Bypass gets wired in parallel with the thermostat. master on/off gets wired in series with the thermostat.
It could also be possible to find a thermostat with an off position. Then you would only need the bypass to turn the fan on manually.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: