No power to outlet

Old 06-06-01, 11:09 AM
Visiting Guest
I replaced a switch that turned a garbage disposal on and off. Now there doesn't seem to be any power getting to that outlet. There is an outlet right next to the switch that has power and I remember that there was a connection between the outlet and the switch I replaced. I'm thinking I need to do a connection between the outlet that has the power and the switch but I am not sure how to do it! Yes, I've learned my lesson, wire things back the way they were!!Can you help me restore power before my electrical inspection tomorrow?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-01, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
****Just an after thought here, but check before you do anything else!!!!! Most G/D have their very own circuit breaker.....is it turned on?
Do you have a voltage tester or voltmeter? You will need to determine where the "hot" line is suppose to be coming from. If it is off of the outlet, than there should be one wire from the outlet to the switch. The wire off of the bottom of the switch would be going to the G/D.
How many wires did you, discount from the switch when you replaced it? What were their colors?

Good luck....

Old 06-06-01, 12:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I believe there was one black wire between the outlet and the switch. Other than that, there aren't any extra wires in the box that could be giving me problems. I will check the circuit breaker - could it be that easy??

Old 06-06-01, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hopefully, it is that easy. If there was only one wire going from the outlet to the switch, make sure you have that wire hooked up to the correct side of the outlet. One side is the hot (usually brass colored screw) the other is the neutal side (usually silver colored screw). You would want the wire on the brass (hot) side.
Remember, the switch only breaks the path for the electricity path. If you touch the the two wires together on the switch the G/D should come on. If this works, you may have replaced the switch with another bad one.

Good Luck......