Rewinding 24V DC brushed motor to 12V

Old 01-24-20, 06:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rewinding 24V DC brushed motor to 12V

Hi Guys,

I have a 24V motor out of a mobility scooter that I am running on a machine here at only 12V. The engine+electronics are 12V so... Presumably at half its capable speed and less than half it's rated power.

The RPM it runs at is ideal, so I would like to know if it is possible to rewind it to run at this RPM on 12V, at the power it is rated to run at using 24V. Presumably the motors output power is roughly proportional to the size of it so I figure if it's a 24V 500W motor I should be able to get 500W out of it, regardless of windings? I know there are 12V 500W motors around of the same size but they spin a lot faster than this so maybe that is the caveat...

If I want the RPM to remain the same I have to maintain the same number of turns on each pole. I would assume the armature is full so going up in wire size is probably impossible. Is it a dead end for me?

Thanks in advance as always
Josh

Old 01-24-20, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
A motor rewind shop could possibly do as you hope but it would not be easy to do and would be very expensive.
You could likely get the motor you need used online for a fraction of the cost of messing with your motor.

Old 01-24-20, 07:02 PM
J
I think the fact that it is functional probably lowers the budget below having it rewound professionally or replacing the motor with a new one. Just for knowledge sake anyway, I'm interested in what a rewinding outfit would do to achieve this?

Old 01-24-20, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I have two motor winding shops that I deal with. They wouldn't even touch a DC motor like that.

Old 01-25-20, 04:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Do a search online for RC forums. There are several posts where hobbyists have re-wound motors for use in RC cars and airplanes. Most modern posts deal with rewinding a brushless motors with three wires but years ago more people rewound brushed motors. Some do a simple "that's good enough" rewinding while others are really fine tuning the motor for their needs.

Old 01-26-20, 12:39 AM
J
I wrote a post on helifreak before here actually but figured it wasn't quite the right place. Might give it a go thanks for responses here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: