Add Breaker Panel to separate Garage

Old 06-06-01, 02:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I will be connecting into the existing meter to the house for the new separate garage (with upper hobby room) 125 amp breaker box. I have run 2 #2 THHN, 1 #4 THHN, and 1 #6 bare copper from the meter to the new garage panel. So the #2's will go to breaker cutoffs, and #4 will go to neutral bar.

Where does the #6 bare copper attach to the new breaker box?
Do I also need another bare copper attached to the breaker box frame and down to a ground bar on the outside of the garage?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-01, 07:24 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
You need to buy an equipment grounding bar kit for your panel. The ground wire from the house and the equipment grounding conductors will connect to this bar. You also need to install a ground rod and run a grounding cable from this rod to the new ground bar in the panel. (WG doesn't agree that the code requires a ground rod.) Don't connect the grounded (neutral) conductor to the grounding bar in the garage panel.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-06-01, 09:19 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The conductors you named, are they installed underground, and in a conduit? Check on the side of the wires where it says THHN and see if it also says THWN. If it says THHN but does not say THWN, then you should not use this wire for an underground installation. Both THHN AND THWN must be protected by a conduit. Most THHN conductors are also rated THWN. Just make sure yours is.

Also if you ran PVC conduit underground, that burial depth minimum must be 18" deep.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 06-07-01, 07:38 AM
Visiting Guest
All my wires are in conduit burried at least 18 inches. I also have a grounding rod in the ground outside of my new panel. My panel was purchased with all the guts, so I don't think I need a gounding bar kit. I have a ground bar on the left and a neutral bar on the right inside the panel.

Other sources have just told me that I didn't need to run the bare copper wire from my meter to my new panel. All I need to do is run a bare copper wire from the gound bar side of the panel where all my romex #12 bar copper wires are attached, down to the grounding rod, and I will be ok.

Do you agree?

Thanks.

Old 06-07-01, 09:43 AM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
No, I don't agree. An equipment grounding conductor must be installed from the power source to the new panel. It does not have to be bare. I can be green. This is the only path that will exist to trip a breaker on a ground fault. The fault must have a solid path back to the power source.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-07-01, 09:49 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
250-32-B-2 allows you to run only one or two hots and a white neutral wire between the two buildings.

250-32-B-1 allows you to run an equipment ground [green or bare] with that feeder between buildings. However if you have another metallic path between those two buildings such as metal water pipes, then you must run that equipment grounding conductor [green or bare] with that feeder between buildings.

The reply issued by resqcapt19 is correct. Now there are panels out there that have both a neutral bar and grounding bar allowing you to use the grounding bar that comes with the panel if the manufacturer allows it in their instructions concerning installation. If the manufacturer allows it then you should find the neutral bar isolated from the metal casing of the panel by plasic standards isolating any contact of that neutral bar from the metal casing. The grounding bar must be in contact with that metal casing of the panel. The neutrals and grounding bars must be separated from each other if that equipment grounding conductor is run with the feeder between buildings. If the equipment grounding conductor is not run with the feeders between buildings then the neutral and grounding bars must be married together.

One more thought, if your panel allows the neutral bar and grounding bar to be separated the ensure you have no jumper bar connecting the two together. This jumper bar may be hidden bihind the buss bar or installed below the buss bar. That jumper must be removed separating the neutral and grounding bar. This removal of that metal jumper would be allowed only if in the manufacturer's instructions rating that panel for use as either a main service rated panel or a non service rated panel [sub panel].

If you have run an equipment grounding conductor with your feeder between buildings then use it and wire as per a sub panel, or cut that grounding wire off in both panels so that it can not be used and wire as a main service rated panel using the ground rod as your grounding source.

I highly respect the knowledge of resqcapt19. If you follow what he said in his reply, you should be fine.

Good Luck

Wg