DIY solar system questions

Old 02-06-20, 08:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY solar system questions

I am contemplating putting a grid-tied solar system in my house with battery backup. One benefit of doing this is that the battery can put out steady 110 volt power which would be fantastic for my stereo amplifier. High end amps sound much better without external load-tied voltage fluctuations.

My question is whether I would have to go off the grid entirely when I want to listen to the system with this circuit, or is it possible to keep the rest of my house on the grid and simultaneously use this battery powered circuit for stereo at night.

I suspect it's not possible; I'd have to use all one or all the other but I am out of my depth here.

Thank you!

Old 02-06-20, 08:25 PM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
The battery powered circuit should be able to be made independent of the line power.

Old 02-07-20, 03:25 AM
Received 35 Votes on 35 Posts
Grid tie inverters only work if the grid is powered, it feeds to the grid to lower your power consumption. A separate battery powered system will probably be better for you. I have (2) 12v panels in series to make 24v to charge (2) 12v deep cycle batteries in series with a 24 volt inverter to power my radios and several 24 volt lights in my garage.

Old 02-07-20, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,956 Votes on 2,667 Posts
One benefit of doing this is that the battery can put out steady 110 volt power which would be fantastic for my stereo amplifier. High end amps sound much better without external load-tied voltage fluctuations.
Not sure where you are getting the logic for this. Batteries put out DC power which then must be inverted to AC power. That inverter process adds artifacts into the power that will color the sound of your amplifier. Your amplifier will sound better on grid power than back up inverted power.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 05-19-20, 05:13 PM
D
Thanks! I thought there might be a way to toggle between the two, but that would be a no? I guess I have to put in a new subpanel then.

Old 05-21-20, 09:32 PM
D
Can I use solar battery and POCO power at the same? time?

I have bought a solar system, grid tied inverter, and battery bank for my house. There is one circuit for which I would like occasionally to pull battery power, while leaving the rest of the house on POCO power.

If that circuit is among the three in my critical loads subpanel, is it possible open that one breaker on the main panel, and close that circuit on the subpanel--effectively running a hybrid feed intonto into the house?

i don't yet know how crit loads circuits are wired ...

i suspect code says No! but just wondering if it's doable within equipment design.

The alternative is to black out the house at the mains box and just run that circuit off the battery, but I prefer not to do that.
.Thank you, as ever!

Last edited by debeze; 05-21-20 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-21-20, 11:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,956 Votes on 2,667 Posts
I combined your two threads as they are on the same topic. We've covered a number of them already.

With a grid tied solar system..... your solar cells are connected directly to a grid tied/controlled inverter. There are no batteries involved in this process. The power the solar cells is creating is going back into the power company grid. You are not necessarily using the power you are generating. It gets combined.

If you want a battery bank for backup power....... you would use additional solar panels dedicated to just charging the batteries. You can't switch some of the solar panels from the grid system to the battery charging system as the grid system will no longer function missing those cells.

Since the grid tied inverter must remain connected to the utility lines to operate..... it cannot be used to convert your batteries to AC power. You would need a second.... dedicated inverter to get 120vAC from your battery bank.

They make small sub panel transfer switches. The one in the link could be used to transfer loads from your panel to the battery system. Your battery bank inverter would be in place of the generator.

6 circuit transfer panel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: