Quick outlet question

Old 02-10-20, 03:37 AM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Quick outlet question

I have 2 outlets in a room that aren't working properly. One has no power, the other works intermittently. Sometimes only the bottom works. All the other outlets work fine and nothing is tripped at the breaker. So is this a simple out replacement? I'm going to try that first but any other thoughts just in case? Thanks!

Old 02-10-20, 04:16 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
I would start with the one that works intermittently. There is probably a loose connection in there or the receptacle is failing which in turn is not allowing power to proceed to the receptacle that has no power.

If you feel confident enough to pull out the receptacle that is working intermittently then start there but first be sure the power is off. Check for backstabbing of the conductors in this receptacle. They are known to fail over time causing a loose connection.

If this does not solve the issue to this receptacle and the dead one then we can take it from there.

Old 02-10-20, 06:53 AM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
Is there a wall switch in the room? It is unusual for only half a receptacle to go bad. But it is not unusual for a receptacle be half switched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: