12 V DC ATV winch acting up.

Old 02-18-20, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12 V DC ATV winch acting up.

This is the Superwinch LTV 3000 ATV winch. When the original winch went belly up about 5 years ago, I replaced it with this Superwinch. I was lazy and just replaced the winch motor leaving the other original components in place. I use the winch to raise/lower my snowplow. Recently, I began having intermittent problems when raising the plow . Sometimes, pressing the toggle switch just causes a click and the motor does not engage If I keep pressing and releasing the toggle, it eventually will engage the motor (so far anyways). It seems a symptom like this on an automobile indicates a bad solenoid. Is that also the case for a winch motor? How do I know for sure what the problem is? TIA! Dave

Old 02-18-20, 08:29 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Yes it could be the case for the winch motor.

For a car starter, the solenoid both engages the gearing for the starter and (like a relay) turns on a motor power switch. It is not unusual for the motor switch contacts to fail in which you hear the click of the gear engaging and nothing else happens.

Old 02-18-20, 11:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
It could be the motor, gearbox, solenoid or switch especially since everything but the motor is old. A multi meter will allow you to test the switch and solenoid. It could simply be the switch isn't making reliable contact. If the solenoid isn't pulling in when current is applied to the coil that's the problem. I doubt the motor is bad but it could happen. And, since you only replaced the motor and have the old gearbox getting a lot of repeated use it's possible a gear shattered and has it bound up and you hear a click as the motor tries to turn but can't because of the gearbox.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: