New Panel w/ No Spaces for CTL Tandems? Help!

Old 02-20-20, 03:33 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Panel w/ No Spaces for CTL Tandems? Help!

Is anyone familiar with the Eaton BRP30B200 main panel? Does it normally have space for tandems w/ rejection tabs? There are 30 spaces and the literature I found online said it accepts 60 circuits, but none of the stabs are notched for CTL tandems.
Long version: I need space for a 50-amp breaker for a 14-50 outlet and thought it would be easy to combine some 20-amp circuits onto tandems to create it. Picked up standard CTL's at Menards with rejection tabs. Opened up the panel, removed the bottom 4 breakers, but they didn't have "notched" areas to accept the tandems w/ tabs. Then proceeded to remove every single breaker on both sides, and none have notched insertion points. This is a really new home (under 1 year), and the electrician who did the work during construction used a couple 15-amp tandems. I Googled the part (BR1515), and they're the NON-CTL type that come from the factory without tabs. I thought those were against code and only supposed to be used as replacements in old panels, but maybe I'm wrong. Am I missing something? Is my panel already maxed out (and possibly overloaded by the original electrician), or should I go buy some 20-amp non-CTL breakers? Or something totally different?
Hope this makes sense. I'm obviously not a pro -- just a homeowner -- so I appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-20, 04:40 PM
L
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
I actually asked Eaton about this. Their answer was to use non-CTL tandem breakers.
Apparently, new PON (Plug on Neutral) load centers don't have CTL provision.

Below is answer I got from Eaton.

Nick Abel voted this post useful.
Old 02-20-20, 06:38 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you SO much, @lambition! Can't tell you how helpful that is. It makes sense given their specs on the panel (each slot being able to handle two circuits), but it's so confusing. I actually pulled out those tandem 15-amp breakers used in original construction and there's the typical warning sticker right on them stating, "For replacement use only..." etc, etc. So it's that little note at the bottom about the plug-on neutral (PON) feature that makes it OK. Great to know! Thanks again!

Old 02-22-20, 08:24 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
I actually asked Eaton about this. Their answer was to use non-CTL tandem breakers.
As much as I like Eaton products, I strongly disagree with their answer. I have also found the same answer from Eaton a few years ago. Their answer is completely wrong because they fail to recognize that this particular panel was engineered and designed for a maximum of 30 circuits and using the non-CTL tandem breakers defeats the UL Listing and design of the panel. Bottom line is the OP has a 30 circuit maximum panel.

For Replacement Use Only not-CTL –The Class CTL (circuit limiting) panelboard has only been in existence for about 25 years, even though the lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard has been in the NEC for decades. CTL panelboards have a rejection means designed to reject more than the appropriate number of circuit breakers that can be installed in the panel. The marking “For replacement Use Only Not CTL Assemblies” means that the circuit breaker does not have CTL rejection provisions and is intended for replacement in older equipment pre-dating the CTL requirements for circuit breakers and panelboards. Circuit breakers with this designation should not be installed in a panelboard marked “Class CTL Panelboard” since that would be a violation of the listing of the assembly [NEC 110.3(B)].
https://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/20...breakers-mean/

Also some good information can be found here.

http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInsp...-Breakers/2047

And here

https://ncdoi.com/OSFM/State_Electri...20Approval.pdf

Last edited by CasualJoe; 02-22-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 08:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
I too question the answer from Eaton. IMO they are advising counter to the listing requirements that state replacement only.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 02-22-20, 08:54 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
I had an Eaton rep tell me this several years ago and when I showed him the code references they were violating he had only one reply, who is ready for another? Of course, he also bought

Regardless, I still like most Eaton products.