Lighted Pole Switch

Old 02-22-20, 05:08 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighted Pole Switch

I have a lighted single pole switch for my garage lights. Its on the inside in breakfast room next to door to garage. Being lit, I can easily tell if I've left the lights on in garage. The light has started flickering, is that an indication the switch needs to be replaced or does it signify possibly another problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-20, 05:17 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Those lighted switches use a neon lamp (The same kind of neon lamp on those lighted switches on almost every power strip). The older ones would go on it seemed like forever but the newer one are mostly cheap junk. I would see if you can find a NOS (New Old Stock) on eBay or some other online shopping site. Just make sure you get the same kind (Single Pole or 3-way and 15A or 20A)

gastorms1 voted this post useful.
Old 02-22-20, 05:35 PM
G
Well I pulled the cover plate off, its nested with 2 other switches, and it doesn't seem to be flickering anymore? Its definitely 15A and only has the 3 wires on it, does that make it a single pole?

Old 02-22-20, 05:40 PM
if one of those wire is a green/bare ground yes it should be a single pole switch. Also neon lamps are weird like that if you shine a light on them they will stop flickering but in the dark (when you actually need it) it will flicker

gastorms1 voted this post useful.
Old 02-22-20, 05:45 PM
G
Right, it has the bare copper wire to the green lug. Its flickering again, I'll replace it. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-20, 10:32 AM
G
Finished my switch replacement today finally. Ended up ordering a Leviton switch online from HD as they do not carry in the store anymore. Was hoping it would be a "Made in USA" switch like the other switches in the store showed, but its Made in Mexico, we'll see how long it lasts.

Seems to work fine. I mounted it upside down to start with of course. Is there a convention where common is always on bottom or something like that?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 08-10-20, 10:24 AM
G
CB was correct on how long my Leviton Mexico made switch would last..........3 months. The light is out again.

I've found a EATON(Cooper) USA made switch to try next.

Old 08-10-20, 12:59 PM
Yep sounds about right for newer stuff made today. I fixed a metal power strip that was at least 30 (probably more) or more years old and the replacement switch is already flickering like a burnt out fluorescent lamp. The original switch still lit up but the cover was missing so I had to replace it

Old 08-16-20, 08:19 PM
G
The Cooper Lighting lighted switch arrived. Despite being advertised as "Made in USA", the package clearly says "Made in Mexico" so I dunno? I may throw it on there and see how long the light lasts on it. I paid extra for this one over a Leviton so that's kind of irritating.

Old 08-16-20, 08:49 PM
Stuff made in Mexico is still better the made in China though
Look for a "Single Pole Lighted Mercury Switch" those are silent and last practically forever (the switch will but the neon lamp will not)
Also what kind of lamps (light bulbs) are being used in the switched fixture?