1/2 of a circuit out with lost neutral

Old 02-24-20, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2 of a circuit out with lost neutral

Residential home has 1/2 of a circuit malfunctioning( half of the outlets and lights work fine, the other half not).
There is power to all points and in fact, the voltage detector beeps on both the hot and neutral side equally. I dont understand how this can be. I know the neutral side is open because If i momentarily touch a wire from ground to the neutral side of a ceiling light it works.
So I need to find the open neutral. But I dont get the voltage detector reading. I didn't have a voltage meter with me when I went to check the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-20, 08:01 PM
J
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
The neutral will read voltage because the voltage is run through some device on the circuit that is turned on and has no place to go so you can read it on the neutral.

Old 02-24-20, 08:25 PM
Ok, to see if i understand :
if i shut off all the light switches at, and, after the open neutral, leaving receptacles wired as usual then the neutral voltage should be gone ?

Old 02-25-20, 02:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 602 Votes on 567 Posts
You need to shut off all switches and remove ALL loads on the circuit as any load will provide a path from hot back to the open neutral.

Old 02-25-20, 03:57 AM
B
Received 52 Votes on 45 Posts
Normally the wire connected the neutral bus has no voltage with respect the neutral and ground busses. However, when the wire connected to neutral bus in a circuit gets disconnected or breaks and the circuit has a load that is turned on, the part of the circuit's neutral wire, not connected to the neutral bus, will indicate circuit voltage on a voltmeter with respect to ground or the portion of the neutral wire connected to the neutral bus because there is no current.

Old 02-25-20, 08:15 PM
Ok got it. Thanks for all the help!