X-10 Systems

Old 06-07-01, 09:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Any comments on experiences with X-10 automation systems? Good or bad...I've been reading stuff on the net and of course the web sites have mostly good comments.
Looking for some real user comments!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-01, 07:05 AM
Guy
Visiting Guest
I have X-10 wall switches and various modules throughout my home, all installed by myself. Once you get any initial bugs worked out (like phase coupling, filtering any noisy loads, etc.) it works really well. Handy for turning off lights at night, giving "lived in" look when you're gone, etc. A good source for info and asking questions is by reading the comp.home.automation newgroup. My controller is the Ocelot, made by Applied Digital (www.appdig.com). This field is still very much a DIYer thing, like personal computing was in the early 80's but can become a hobby all it's own.

Old 06-08-01, 05:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Where is that news group located?

Old 06-08-01, 05:41 PM
Visiting Guest
X-10 technology has been around for 25 years. In recent years it has been incorporated into many products. Radio Shack has been selling security products and other types of controllers for at least 5 years. Most of the familiar security company names sell and install X-10 products. I have installed most of the products available and they work as advertised. As Guy mentioned you need to become familiar with the technology to get the most benefit from it. The internet is loaded with info including smarthome.com and many others.

Old 06-09-01, 07:53 PM
Guy
Visiting Guest
Just subscribe to the newsgroup with your news reader (nntp or whatever server with your ISP, see their help documentation). You will probably first see a list of the root newsgroups; go to "comp" and expand it. Then choose "home" and expand that too. You should see "automation" in the list.