Old Work

Old 06-08-01, 05:29 AM
Can the romex remodeler stryle boxes with the tabs be used in plaster walls. I will be working in my Grandma's very old house do I need to be concerned about the joists be structurally sound enough to hold my weight. Thank You in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-01, 09:49 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
Yes. Plaster and lath walls may require a box that's build for greater depths than the standard 1/2" to 5/8" sheetrock, and deeper boxes are available for this.

As far as the joists being strong enough to support your weight, I guess that only makes sense, doesn't it?

Good luck,

Juice

Old 06-08-01, 07:42 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Suggest you try using a router bit that cuts sideways instead of a reciprocating saw. A reciprocating saw tends to knock the lathe loose from the plaster thus increasing the odds of damaging the walls. Also loose lathes make it harder to support the remodles boxes properly.

Just a suggestion not asked for

Wg

Old 06-12-01, 09:24 AM
Upvotes Received: 1
Wg, what a good idea! I have used my Makita mini-circular saw on drywall and plaster/lathe to control depth of the cut in order to avoid contacting unknown ficilities inside the walls. It's not the smoothest cut, but it does the job. I have also screwed up a couple walls with my Sawzall! The router seems like the perfect solution. What bit do you use for nail-embedded wood?

Juice