Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I place Amish shed on ground above buried electric service line

Old 03-17-20, 03:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to place an Amish shed on my property to store my mower, outdoor tools and a couple of grills. The preferred location is on top of my buried electric service line. I know the electric line is there because the cable company replaced my underground cable line, and the power company came out and marked the path of my buried electric service line.

I don't know how deep the electric line is, but I presume it is at least 24" underground, correct? I won't be digging for a foundation, but will simply place the shed on the ground. I will have someone scrape the spot level and place some gravel, but no real digging. It will be difficult to find another spot away from the electric line for the shed. The local planning department says the electric line doesn't bother them. I called the electric company, and they said they don't recommend placing the shed over the electric line, but didn't say it is prohibited. They said if the line ever needs replaced, the shed would have to be moved (which wouldn't be easy at all).

What are the odds that the electric line would ever need to be accessed or replaced? Am I crazy for thinking about placing the shed in this location, or is it not a big deal? Appreciate any advice.

Old 03-17-20, 03:48 PM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I had a similar situation that you have, except the utilities were gas/electric/cable/phone. They are all in conduit runs (except gas). On my plot plan it's a utility easement. I figured the gamble was worth it vs locating my shed in somewhere inconvenient.

If they ever have to come through here, the shed will be the least of my issues as there are retaining walls, mature trees etc also.

Old 03-17-20, 03:50 PM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
What are the odds
Always 1 in something!

If I knew anything was in the ground I would try and avoid if possible!

Old 03-17-20, 04:14 PM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
An electrical line is of very little consequence. Worst case scenario is to run another line around the shed if need be. That's what the cable companies do. Chances are it will never matter. Besides that you never knew it was there.

Old 03-17-20, 05:03 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
It is very unlikely you will have any problem. Even if the utility line underground needs replacing, utility companies usually won't be digging trenches.
They will use lateral boring machine to lay new cable and abandon existing.

Old 03-17-20, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
If the shed is on skids, it can always be pulled away.

Old 03-18-20, 03:56 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
The preferred location is on top of my buried electric service line.
Is the service line direct buried or in conduit? IF in conduit the shed on top would not be an issue. I have seen direct buried service lines fail, but it is somewhat rare.

Old 03-18-20, 04:11 PM
R
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Curious, what is the difference between an Amish shed and any other shed, weight, shape?

Old 03-18-20, 06:22 PM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I built my shed, 8X14. A friend had a shed from one of the BB stores. My neighbor has had 2 Amish sheds installed. The Amish sheds that I have seen put most others to shame in their quality, including mine.

From what my neighbor has told me, true Amish sheds are shipped via RR from somewhere in the east (I think Penn. has quite a few?) and installed from pre-built assemblies (walls/floors/etc). The fit and finish is quite nice. I don't know if there is anything legally required to be called "Amish" (like Champagne).

Just as an aside, my wife and I purchased a large bedrooms set from an Amish maker and they will be the last bedroom furniture we'll ever have. The quality is amazing.

Norm201 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: