I hev ziz qveshun

Old 03-19-20, 11:20 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile I hev ziz qveshun

So, I have a 6-50 receptacle in my garage and would like to wire a double-oven to powder coat. I was given this oven for free and was told both top and bottom ovens work great. This unit was hardwired inside a house and does not come with a plug, hence my problem.

The oven has 4 wires (red, black, green, bare) and the r-60 plug I bough only has 3 terminals. I wired both hots on the left and right and the bare copper on top and left the neutral capped off and inside the housing to prevent exposure.

The result is only half of the oven works. The bottom oven has a turn knob to power it on and it works great. The problem is with the top oven has a digital display and it wont even turn on so I can control the oven.

Does the neutral need to be connected for the digital display to come on? Did I buy the wrong plug or do I need to twist the neutral and ground together? I was told that my neutral and ground were on the same jumper on my 35 year old panel.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-20, 11:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A title should reflect the thread topic.

That is a 120/240v oven and requires a four wire circuit. You cannot connect the neutral and ground together. As you correctly mentioned the neutral and ground are connected only at the panel.

Old 03-19-20, 11:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ah, sorry about that. Will title accordingly in the future.

So what are my options?

Old 03-20-20, 09:37 AM
P
Received 110 Votes on 87 Posts
Unless the wire is individual conductors run in conduit where you can add a neutral or the cable is type SEU from panel to the outlet you are stuck having to run a new cable.

Old 03-20-20, 06:25 PM
Received 91 Votes on 81 Posts
The oven has 4 wires (red, black, green, bare)
You have two hot wires, 2 ground wires and no neutral. Are you sure there isn't a white wire there somewhere?