Adding outlet

Old 03-21-20, 06:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding outlet

Hi,
Simple outlet addition between 2 existing outlets. House in CA and the wall has a shear plate but it's on the other side of wall so it won't affect outlet install.

I cut the hole in the drywall for the new outlet (it's for a Arlington recessed 2 gang so hole is large) but I don't see the wire that I expected to transverse between the 2 existing outlets on that wall. I have added outlets in the house before on the second floor and it seems that they never run the wires across the bays. They seem to always run up to the top plate and then back down at the bay for the next outlet. Attic has lots of wires running on top plates. I can't easily access top plate since this is lower floor on a 2 story house.

Is there any reason that they do this? I searched for codes on drilling studs for shear walls and it seems to be no different than non-shear.

There are 2 bays (3 studs) between existing outlets. I figure I could cut another hole in the drywall between the outlets and that would allow me to drill the studs for a transverse wire. Is this the best plan? I'm pretty good at drywall repairs and this will be behind a bookcase anyhow.

It may seem silly to put an outlet so close to an existing but it's for a TV and will be ganged with low voltage cable etc. so I figured it would be a cleaner install but of course I could just go with low voltage only if it's not allowable for some reason. I do need to check how many outlets on this breaker.

Thanks

Old 03-21-20, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
There is no limit to the quantity of receptacles on a circuit.

Typically...... we electricians run cables using the least amount of holes.
Many times the wiring route is dictated by how the joists on the floor above run.

In your case.... you don't really want to intercept the cable as there won't be enough to work with.
You'd be better off connecting to one of the existing receptacles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: